Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Two military options, associated educational outcomes

Gents,

Would love to get your advice on an issue that's arisen for me recently. I know I'm not trying to make the ride to E-7, but I was recently made aware of a cross-branch program by which I could attain WO-1 and hitch at Rucker to learn to fly for which I might be fairly competitive. It kills my current E-commitment and sets the clock to 8-years incl. flight school, no degree requirement, and a pretty cool set of duties despite the extended commitment.

I have/had definite plans to try to hit GW, Georgetown, UofArizona, and any other "major" Arabic language program to finish my BA, knowing fully that going after FBI/DoS/NSA/etc. Junior and Senior internships during the summers would be my best shot at being 1811/2501 competitive despite my relative lack of professional experience. It seems like another 8 years in (31-32 leaving service, rather than 26-27) would alter whether I'd want to sit through college to get the tougher degree instead of simply taking an online BA->MBA like the DoD encourages today.

What would you all recommend with regard to staying in longer for the rank/duties/skills "upgrade", and if so, would it be smarter to pursue the online degrees? The prospect of getting to do 1811 work at an agency like the FBI and then switch to flying full time a few years down the line is damned appealing, not to mention the opportunities in-service as a medevac or other mission-essential pilot (compared to my current desk jockeying).

Thanks for any input, and sorry for the meandering question.

V/r,
    Chris

OK, here's my take. First, you're talking 8 year commitment and given the world situation, I doubt that will be strictly CONUS based. You're 'definite plans' may have to take a backseat to military priorities. Second, you might be a casualty of war. We won't dwell on that, but you'd better take it into the game plan.

So, you can fly. So can thousands of other applicants for 1811 slots and the window of opportunity for pilots is small. You're going against pilots with years of multi engine ratings and both fixed and rotor aircraft. Tight spots. IMO opinion, you'd be better off with the language skills and an advanced degree. Think long and hard about the time commitment, your age and factors on BQ lists.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
    Hunter S. Thompson

dmclark,

I appreciate the blunt and well reasoned advice.

I'm spoiled with my current work being strictly-CONUS. Being young and male, I never consider the prospect of a body-bag concurrently with careers I look at, but that's a damned good point. Don't mind risking my ass but doing so needlessly isn't a tree I'm barking up.

If the commentary on "definite plans" sounded really entitled "Generation Y" and selfish, I'm sorry to have projected that. I've been in my desk job counting days for a while and the nature of being a combat pilot is completely different. That's no excuse and it was a poor representation of the mindset a servicemember should have.

Didn't know that there were that many pilots applying, frankly, and thought the Officer v. Enlisted was a pretty big deal. Is that not the case, or is the BQ list more impartial (wrt OvE) than I'm thinking?

Thank you for your time.
    MAA

I know many guys that had Ft Rucker and the WO dangled at them as a potential change in enlisted contract or reenlistment option. Some took it, most didn't. Flunk out of of flight training for any number of reasons you can't foresee and you've got? Sorry for being blunt, but I know some guys that took the option and we're gone 90 days after graduating Rucker.

You've got pilots exiting the military airline pilots looking for more money and LE work and civilians that already have multi-engine ratings. And the actual need for fed LE pilots isn't overwhelming. Also, you'd have to do 2-3 years on the street before you could apply to fly.
    Last edited by dmclark; 03-26-2015 at 00:19.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
    Hunter S. Thompson