Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

NYPD Detective vs Uniform Ranks

Greetings and happy new year,

I know that the detective rank in the NYPD is based on merit and has three grades.

What happens when one is a detective and then takes the sgt, lt, and captain exams, and then passes. Is the detective now rotated back into a uniform role? If so, is this a reason perhaps at least some detectives are reluctant to take these test? How does a detective then move up in the NYPD hierarchy? Does a uniformed sergeant then always outrank any detective?

Unlike TV and the movies, I don't think there are such ranks as "Detective-Sergeant" or "Detective-Lieutenant".

Quote Originally Posted by chasmain View Post
    Greetings and happy new year,

I know that the detective rank in the NYPD is based on merit and has three grades.

What happens when one is a detective and then takes the sgt, lt, and captain exams, and then passes. Is the detective now rotated back into a uniform role? If so, is this a reason perhaps at least some detectives are reluctant to take these test? How does a detective then move up in the NYPD hierarchy? Does a uniformed sergeant then always outrank any detective?

Unlike TV and the movies, I don't think there are such ranks as "Detective-Sergeant" or "Detective-Lieutenant".
    Not sure about NYPD but there are definitely Detective Sgt and Lt's in New Jersey.

My former local (city) PD in GA has DET SGT/DET LT/DET CAPT; and the county PD & DA's office has Investigator I, II & III (equal to SGT, LT, CAPT if they were to go back into uniform). It varies all over the country. We'll probably need to hear from an NYPD person to correctly identify their structure.
    Stay safe!

FedAgent