Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Secret Service vs Private Detail

So, what happens when a wealthy candidate like Trump has his own private security, but then also receives Secret Service security.

Does the Secret Service now tell the private security staff what they can and cannot do in terms of the candidate's security? I would imagine that this was be an awkward situation given that the candidate may be used to his or her own private security and may not want to dismiss them.

And, can such a candidate turn down Secret Service detail? I believe this was the case with Ross Perot.

Thanks.

On house of cards the president, played by Kevin spacey, made a Capitol Police Officer the agent in charge of PPD. But that was after the officer was pulled into a three way with spacey and his wife played by robin wright...

But then on the other hand, you might be in charge of the PPD, get caught by the First Lady having an affair with a WH Staffer, and then get promoted......Truth is stranger than fiction.
    ESFLEA
    Life is what happens while you're planning other things.

In the 1990's, there was particular credentialing with regard to Trump's protection detail transiting the country more freely while armed. I have a feeling Trump's security detail is blending in w/ any other security detail assigned. Trump's guys are very highly skilled & respected.
    Stay safe!

FedAgent

Quote Originally Posted by Sandles2Sidearm View Post
    On house of cards the president, played by Kevin spacey, made a Capitol Police Officer the agent in charge of PPD. But that was after the officer was pulled into a three way with spacey and his wife played by robin wright...
    Gee..thanks..I think.

Quote Originally Posted by FedAgent View Post
    In the 1990's, there was particular credentialing with regard to Trump's protection detail transiting the country more freely while armed. I have a feeling Trump's security detail is blending in w/ any other security detail assigned. Trump's guys are very highly skilled & respected.
    Yes, I think Trump's main security guy is a very tall former NYPD detective. I know that USSS works with local agencies when a President visits town. This is understandable. However, I wonder how USSS meshes with a security detail that travels with the candidate himself. And if elected, is there a mandate that Trump must dismiss or retire his own detail? I imagine that USSS have their own training and procedures that would conflict with any private detail.

Quote Originally Posted by esflea View Post
    But then on the other hand, you might be in charge of the PPD, get caught by the First Lady having an affair with a WH Staffer, and then get promoted......Truth is stranger than fiction.
    Is that what happened to Clinton's head of PPD?

Quote Originally Posted by chasmain View Post
    Is that what happened to Clinton's head of PPD?
    Not Clinton's [at least not the one to whom I referenced].
    ESFLEA
    Life is what happens while you're planning other things.

Quote Originally Posted by chasmain View Post
    Gee..thanks..I think.
    You're welcome.

In short I believe the answer you are looking for is that it is resolved on a case by case basis. Just as issues with HR Clinton with USSS/DS coverage. The USSS has to deal with a very dynamic and fluid mandate when it comes to the actual protection of their principals. In the end I would wager that the Service accomodates most any of their protected request in so far as it does not expose said protectee to unnecessary harm or embarrassment. I am not with them and have only seen, "in the line of fire" a few times, but I would wager that what transpires is in the wheel house of this reality.

Makes sense. Thanks.