Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

NYPD Psychological review

Hello everyone

I would like to know if you are put into review is it a way to say thank you but no thank you! my shienk was an ass !!! rude as hell this was in feb 2002, people say your doomed but some say your not! im confused. any comments would be apperciated. we are talking about nypd? has anyone here been on review then removed ever?????????

thanks

dano Guest
    I am sorry to hear the news buddy...I wont mention names but I am curious if your shrink had blond hair, mid-forties? I had him and he was a tough SOB!

To answer your question, it depends...I was put on review but, when I was informed of this by my BI, Lefrak's psych unit already scheduled me to see another shrink a few weeks later for an additional evaluation. Apparently, I wasn't screwed up enough to be DQd outright! LOL

Actually, I think because I disclosed that my father is a manic depressive (MD) and that I drank quite a bit in college (many years ago) they wanted to make sure I wasn't an MD, an alcoholic or both I suppose. The second shrink told me the two problems were closely correlated.

I was freaking out!!! Truth be told, having a history of mental illness in my family, I was scared to death of the psych. I have seen too many good people get knocked out of the process by it. Meanwhile, a lot of clowns seam to have no problem with it. Thankfully, after the second interview I was taken off review.

If you are put on review and not invited to an additional evaluation you are out of the process and will have to appeal the results.

First, you need to find out from either the psych unit, your BI or anyone that will help what appeals options are available within the dept. If that is a dead end or doesn't help, you will need to consult a lawyer. Papimike can refer to some lawyers who specialize in representing candidates with this very problem. If he doesn't post them, PM him.

I suggest following up on this. I will not lie, it will cost you some money and can take a long time to get through (almost two years for a friend of mine). In the end, whether you want NYPD or not, I personally think it is worth it. Unlike other DQs, a poor psych eval can come back to haunt you in future processes.

North of the border between the US and Miami
    Does anyone know which version of MMPI they use? I've taken no. one before.

Thanks,
    SecretNY
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."
    ---Hemingway

NYPDJULYACADEMY Guest

The Shrink

Pray-tell... Are we discussing Dr Michael White?

Without being slandorous, I will just say that this guy enjoys his job WAY too much. I know that their job is to shake your tree and try to get you to lose it, and he came quite close to doing just that with me... Those dramatic pauses... "tell me more... we'll come back to that... help me understand... Hmmm, interesting..." This dude was a characature of every bad shrink stereotype I've ever seen. I got thru on my first try, but I knew that this guy won a personal battle because there was no way that I was able to hold back the "I'm gonna crawl over the desk and strangle you" look. I walked outta there saying "this dude got it made, city picks up his malpractice insurance, doesn't have to recruit new patients, no office overhead... perfect." All I can say is that God ruined a perfect [email protected]#h*le when he put teeth in Whie's mouth.

My advice to anyone that gets him is to just reply to his questions in the same "quiet, spooky, scary"manner that he asks them...

dano Guest
    jtrees = At the written you'll rewrite all your BG info again, fill out a short, standard medical questionairre (Do you have delusions?, Do you take drugs?, etc.), draw three pictures and then take the MMPI2 (I don't think anyone is using MMPI1 anymore) and the CPI.

JULY - You hit the Bullseye buddy!!

Candidates should be very wary of this guy! His antagonizing demeaner took me totally by surprise. However, I have since learned that this approach is not uncommon in LE psych orals.

This is a bit of a legnthy story but I think it is worth reading:

I had to take the psych twice due to an administrative snafu.

I passed the first one then I withdrew from the process shortly thereafter. When I reopened my file, my psych data was 'lost' so I had to do it all over again! Another day taking the written test at the academy and yet another for the oral at LeFrak City! Just another day of bafoonery at the APD.

Anyway, the person in question was my first shrink. I felt the exact same way as JULY. I knew it was just a stupid game but I wanted to strangle the guy nonetheless. He is a pro at ruffling feathers. I bartended for five years before beginning my professional career in communications. I have taken my share of abuse from drunken idiots without batting an eye. Nonetheless, while I was outwardly calm, this guy had me seething. I was sure I would be put on review. I actually passed.

In the end, he is just doing his job and I guess should even be complimented for it. I am absolutely certain that less stable people lose it when they are in there with him!!! But isn't that the point? Shouldn't they be weeded out? After all, look at the abuse you're going to get on the job?

The funny thing is, I passed with him (the file that was lost) and was sure I blew it. The second time around I had a more timid and friendly women. I thought I aced it and then I was put on review!?!? I had to go back for further eval because of the issues mentioned above! All this after passing the psych the first time around!!!

The moral of the story is not try to read into the shrinks demeaner. They might be antagonizing or totally disarming. Either way, they are just evaluating you. Keep you cool and hopefully you'll come out OK.

pysch review

hello

well first I want to say it wasnt that guy you was talking about Dano,, however I did see him there I had an oriental female who was very rude and a snob . thats putting it lighly she said she was gonna look into my arrest that I had when i was younger so I guess she put me in review for that. I know, I passed the written pysch. my question is how long did you have to wait for a second test how many weeks.

dano Guest
    I PMd you a response.

NYPDorBust Guest
    Well, I hate to scare anybody yet to go into the psych, but having gone through two other psychs (passing one and failing another), the NYPD psych was an awful experience.

I myself was put on review and had to call 5 months later to find out what had happened. One time I called and my file was mixed up with somebody elses somehow. Anyway, I was DQ'd, and was pretty devastated. I had my psych interview without the results from the written portion yet. How they can have an effective interview without the written portion to supplement there questioning and still make a professional assessment is beyond me.

My shrink was so out of touch with reality I could hardly keep up with her questions. She wanted to know how many beers I would drink if I was at a frat party, I said it would vary, maybe 6 cups. She asked what size cups were at the frat parties and I said it depends on what size cups they happened to buy...on and on, we discussed these cup sizes for at least 10 minutes alone, getting into details like different brands of plastic cups. Unbelievable.

I left feeling like I was being judged for a job I would love to have, and my entire future, by some imbucile.

Good luck to all those that will follow. Hopefully you will have a better experience than us.

cmedina07 Guest
    When I took the oral I had a nice old man. He even started blabbing about how he went to Hawaii cuz I told him I was there when 9/11 happened.

He asked a million questions but he was just doing his job. the other guys were coming out upset. The key is to maintain composure and stay calm.

He asked me everything about how is things with my wife, do I love my parents,and yes, they will ask about alcohol.

He asked what was the most I drank. I said a bottle of black label with 3 other friends during my 21st birthday.

It went smoother than I thought. Like I said, the key is to be honest and stay calm. Do not make up stupid answers and think b4 you talk.

He asked if anyone disapproved with my drinking or has said anything negative about me drinking too much. I said no because I only drink about once or twice a month at social gatherings or dinner with wife and not excessive.

He told em to have a nice day and good luck in my process.

PSYCH REVIEW

HELLO ALL
    WELL HERE IS THE UPDATE THUS FAR ITS BEEN TWO MONTHS ON NYPD LIST AND STILL ON PSYCH REVIEW! WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON THERE I GOT A CALL LAST WEEK FROM INVESTIGATOR AND SHE IS STILL DOING BACKGROUNDSHE DOSNT EVEN KNOW WHATS GOING ON ! THATS WEIRD DONT YOU THINK, EVERYONE SAYS ITS OVER ONCE YOUR ON REVIEW, THEN WHY WOULD THEY CONTINUE TO PROCESS MY BACKGROUND ANYWAY AT THIS POINT IN TIME I GIVE UP WITH NY I TOOK COUPLE MORE EXAMS WITH DIFFERENT CITIES AND AM GOING TO TAKE FEW MORE, NYPD IS WIERD THATS ALLL I CAN SAY.. LAST QUESTION IS ANYBODY ELSE GOING THROUGH SAME THING WITH NEW YORK PD" THANKS AGAIN

elandau79 Guest
    I have had the same pschologist and the same experience. He didnot even shake my hand when I met him or left his office. I spoke w/ my investigator and was not given a reason as to why I didnot pass.