Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NJ Dept of Corr.

I know they use the 4046 during work hours along with the rifle and shotgun.

Does Perk or anyone else know the entire approved list of actual off-duty handguns that DOC allows their officers to carry after they finish their prob.??

I know all the glocks are on there because they are double action but anymore insight would be great.
    Thanks!

perk25 Guest
    Sorry dude ,I looked up the paper work and could not find it. When you go to the range they will give you the approved list. Its pretty much every thing double action only with 9mm, 40mm

They are coming up with a new list but didn't give it out yet to us. The new departmental issue pistol will be the H and K USP full size and the special units and administrators will be qualifying with the H and K USP COMPACT. It looks like most of the old list will be on the new list, it MUST be Double Action Only, with NO Decocker.

I did pretty good on the range this week, you needed to hit at least 48 out of 60 with the handgun, then 16 out of 20 with the rifle and at least 80 pellets with the shotgun. I passed all with exceptional scores.

We lost 5 on the range and the sad thing is that one of the recruits happened to be the recruit with the biggest heart of anyone I have ever seen. He came from one of the poor inner cities in N.J., worked his butt off all the way through but just couldn't make it through the pistol portion of the test. In honor of him, as they were just about to leave we marched our whole platoon down to the admin. building and presented arms and then wished him well and hoped for him to try again. It was like losing a brother when you have someone that works that hard, trying to get better in PT, reading the bible every night and not have one bad thing to say.

DSFREP Guest
    Sorry to hear you lost 5 on the range.

It is gotta to be hard to loose people this far in and even harder if they are giving 110%!

Also good to see you a are good shot Rammx.............if they run, maybe you will be in the tower.............LOL

I am no sharp shooter but I guess I am alright on the range.

I hit 20 out of 20 with the rifle, that sucker is real sweet. I hit a possible 90 shotgun pellets out of 90.

With the handgun I hit 55 out of 60, 57 out of 60 and 60 out of 60. If you make it to the academy, just keep in mind, don't even worry about the clock, don't rush off any shots and listen to what the experts at the range tell you. I am looking into a HK compact since the dept. will be switching to the hk usp fullsize, this way I can practice on my own time and be familiar with the same weapon, just in the compact size.

DSFREP Guest
    H and K is sweet they just cost more.

Their link is : http://www.hecklerkoch-usa.com/home.html

Let me know if you try one how you like it.

How many times do they let you shoot before youget DQd?

You get alot of practice, then you have to pass 3 straight times 48 out of 60 is the average, so yoy can have one below 48, but the next two above the 48 score. As long as it comes to an average of 48 for 3 tests you pass. If you fail, u get more pract, then try 3 rounds to pass.

The state deals with a guy who gets them whole sale guns for off duty wear. Save around 100.00

DSFREP Guest
    Good to know.

I hear good things about the H&K as well as the Glock.

Let me know what the compact one is like.

DSFREP Guest

Phase I

Rammx and Perk and anyone else who may care:

Well I completed Phase I for NJDOC on Friday.

It was LONG!

More psych babble.

By the time I left, I didn't know if I was crazy or sain.

I did feel the recruiters tried to tell it like it is about the prison.
    They made it pretty clear if you are weak or timid to leave now.

I liked that though............most people have NO idea what it is like in a prison.

When she mentioned inmates sometime throw stuff on you, I thought some people were going to faint.

Anyway, overal it went well.

They did say that next class wont be until Feb or March since the Nov class is almost full.

THat kinda sucks BUT is not that bad cause it will give towns and sheriff dept to get the list and begin certs.

So I may get to go to county or local before then.

Anyway, I hope all is good and keep in touch!

Good luck man! What's prison's did you put down? If I was you, I would start working out a little harder because they seem to be getting a little tougher with the newest class in and harder each and everyone from there in out.
    You will still be fine but with the new administration, it seems they want to make it a little tougher. This past week was all the medical stuff you need to know, talk about alot of material you have to cram in one week, def. alot of studying for that.
    The newest class lost some people, they are down to 150 people. Of the 150, 6 people collapsed in the heat in the last two weeks, guess they aren't as tough as 191 is.

DSFREP Guest
    I put Mid State as my #1 choice.

I was disappointed that River Front and Southwoods were off limits so to speak.

Anyway, they started another class already?

I was disappointed not be in in Nov class.

I geuss it is all veterns from the last test.

Thanks for the tip on the workouts.......I will step it up.

Anyway how you making out?

You didn't loose any more did you?

Do you know why the new class lost people?
    What was it made them quit?

Talk to you later!

perk25 Guest
    I just like to take the time and thank all the members of the board ,this site has been a tremendous asset to me. I was recently hired by my local.I get sworn in on 8-26-02 I then have couple days training at the dept. before I go to Cape May County police Academy on 9-3-02.It will be a live in academy for 22 weeks.Good luck to all! and again thank you.

We didn't lose anymore yet but we still have 6 weeks total left, just hope I make it through the whole process.

The people who left from the newest class is usually they get there and are so fightened by the new life style with the living situation and the yelling.

Midstate I think is a pretty good place to work.

DSFREP Guest
    Holy S*** PERK

THat is awsome!

I am very happy for you.

A live in acedamy for 22 weeks wow.

I hope they pay more that $600 every 2 weeks!?

So no more NJDOC for you.

I am glad it paid off in the liong run for you.

Keep us posted and I hope I can still bother you with questions I have!

PERK

Congrats man! kick some ass in the academy. Doesn't it stink you have to redue another academy just to get title 39 and defensive driving.

Best wishes bro!