Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

RedWhiteBlue Guest

DEA Panel Interview Pass Rate

Anyone know roughly the pass rate for the DEA’s panel interview? I heard (and observed) that the pass rate for the FBI’s panel interview is about 1/3. From the threads I read it seems like the DEA has a higher pass rate. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for posting.
    Last edited by RedWhiteBlue; 02-13-2003 at 03:53.

RedWhiteBlue Guest
    Hmm. No response. Just thought I would try to get this thread back to page one.

The information I have is from the Newark office, so I'm not sure if it applies to the other divisional offices.

We were told that the failure rate for the panel interview isn't too high (can't remember the exact %). However, that same day you will probably also have the written exam. We were informed that the failure rate for the written exam is 50%...meaning typically 50% of the applicants who take it, fail it. Because of the non-disclosure I signed, I'm unable to provide any other info about it.

Good luck to you if you haven't taken it yet. Best advice I can give is to get a good night's sleep the two nights before your interview.

Jim

CID 162 Guest
    FYI... The FBI Phase II pass rate is actually 52% according to the recruiters... CID 162

Just to clarify - in my last post I was only referring to the DEA panel interview and written exam.

Jim

I've taken both and think the DEA written part is very simple. The oral part was neither harder nor easier. They were both fairly similar as far as the questions go. I think the FBI is just looking for very specific types of people and skills.

RedWhiteBlue Guest
    Originally posted by FedsOnly
    I've taken both and think the DEA written part is very simple. The oral part was neither harder nor easier. They were both fairly similar as far as the questions go. I think the FBI is just looking for very specific types of people and skills.
    Thanks much for posting.

When you say "both", FedsOnly, you mean both FBI and DEA, right? How did you do on both and how would you suggest preparing?

RedWhiteandBlue,

Yes, I have taken both the FBI and DEA written and oral segments. Because of the confidentiality agreements I had to sign, I'm limited in the amount of information I can give. So, I'll tell you what the recruiters both told me:

FBI: For Phase I, get yourself a GMAT study guide and work it from cover to cover about 2 months prior to the test. This will prepare you for the amount of math and reading comprehension that will be on the test. For Phase II, look at the Special Agent Selection Process Booklet. They give you a list of things they're looking for during the interview. My recommendation is to think of about 2 or 3 "stories" from your past that will let them know you've been down that road. Also, perform a search on this forum and you'll have about 5 hours of reading on this very topic. Lots of info has been shared over the past 2 years on the FBI's hiring process.

DEA: The written portion is given first. If you pass, you move on to the oral. If you don't pass the written, they don't invite you back in the room for the oral. Like my recruiter said, there's really no way to prepare for the written. You either can do it or you can't. Don't sweat it, it's not hard. The oral is also fairly low key. However, you just need to know your background and things you've accomplished at work, school, or wherever.

I would love to tell you more, but the confidentiality statements are there so people like me won't tell you too much and make the playing field uneven. If you prepare well, you will probably do fine.