Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: 1911 Lovers

1911 Lovers

There is a new 1911 out there that fires whats called a 50GI. Heres the diffence in bullet size from the .45

If a moderator can let me know i will add the link to the site (i didnt know if it would be considered a commercial link)
    You can say you've got issues. You can say you're a victim. It's all your parents fault, After all you didn't pick em Well maybe Oprah's got time to listen. My give a damn's busted. I really wanna care, I wanna feel somethin' Let me dig a little deeper... Nope... Sorry... Nothin'

If you can't post the link could you at least post the ballistics in comparison to the .45? Thanks.

J-Mann

Who makes that 1911? Any ideas?

Sigy

Found it

This is from the guncrafterindustries website:

The 50 GI is a proprietary Guncrafter Industries cartridge and was developed from the ground up specifically for our Model No. 1 pistol. It is a very strong, thick-walled cartridge, which when loaded is approximately the same OAL as a 45 ACP round. Due to the large caliber, the cartridge operates at relatively low pressures and has a long reloading life.

The concept was to create a practical .50 caliber 1911 without unnecessary bulk or weight, but with increased knock-down power. Factory loads for the 50 GI typically drives a 300 grain bullet at 700 -725 fps, which translates into a 210 power factor. This is achieved without loss of controllability. Firing this load feels comparable to shooting a standard. 230 hard ball factory round. However, the 50 GI is a very versatile cartridge and can be loaded to higher or lower levels, as desired.

Another factory load drives the same 300 grain bullet at 875 – 900 fps and puts some serious stopping power downrange, while still being quite controllable for the seasoned .45 ACP shooter.

Factory loaded ammunition, brass and reloading dies are available through Guncrafter Industries.

50 GI factory loaded ammunition is $14.25/box of 20.

J-Mann

Now all I need to do is win the Lotto! What a beast of a bullet.

Thanks J-mann I didnt know if I could post the link because of the commercial products
    You can say you've got issues. You can say you're a victim. It's all your parents fault, After all you didn't pick em Well maybe Oprah's got time to listen. My give a damn's busted. I really wanna care, I wanna feel somethin' Let me dig a little deeper... Nope... Sorry... Nothin'

Checked out the site. Looked pretty interesting! Wouldn't mind taking one out for a test spin.

Sigy

Because of the low muzzle velocity, large front cross-section and heavy bullet mass this round would shed energy quickly (slow down) after leaving the barrel. it wouldn't likely penetrate a 3/4" sheet of plywood at 25yards, let alone a ballistic vest. A good pellet gun sends .22cal projectiles down range at 650-700 fps. It is a curious bit of engineering but not very useful, a solution to a non-existant problem. I'd like to see a lengthened .45 case with a heavier powder charge that would put about 1200fps behind a 200grain .45 bullet, THAT would be useful!

your 230 gr ball is going approx 830 feet p/s and it is a proven man stopper. So you get factory load drives the same 300 grain bullet at 875 – 900 fps and you doing all right.

If I was to purchase this it would be a personal protection round. Self Defense at 75 yards is going to be a tough sell. I believe it was something like 10 yards and this is a viscious round (just about any round would be) in the distance. Granted I dont have the $$ for anything like this so I will just have to stay with the 230 grain variety

Originally posted by kennethm3
    it wouldn't likely penetrate a 3/4" sheet of plywood at 25yards, let alone a ballistic vest.
    Maybe and maybe not, but the blunt force trauma would probably be enough to discourage an attacker.

J-Mann

Yea if I did survive a shot with one of those, Id defintly "re-think" my stragedy.

zach