Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: PEB Bench Press

PEB Bench Press

According to the FLETC web site and a search of this board, the bench press is done on a Universal machine. How exactly does this work? You tell the guy what you think you can lift and give it a go? It's a one press only test, right? How does the weight on the Universal translate to free weights? If I can do 250 - 275 free weights, will that be about what I can do on the Universal?

It is not a "one press only" test. You tell the instructor where you want to start, and continue upwards until you can't lift the weight. Your last successful lift is taken for score. I can't speak to exact weights, but I could always lift a little more on the universal than I could with free weights.

As Reservoir Dog said, you can start at any weight you want. Then you can increase the weight until you do not get a good lift. I know in our class, the lift was also over when your butt left the bench.

Thus, you can keep going up in weight until you are not sucessful or you leave the bench.

Can you just do one, though, if you know where your max is and nail it the first time?

NF,
    For CITP? I suppose you could... it is not that regimented. Did you get picked up by USFS?

dan721 Guest
    THe universal at FLETC can be easier of harder than free weight depending on which machine you use and your body type. I would say if the universal starts off about thesame place you would bring the bar to on a free weight bench press it will be easier. If you are starting the press from below that point and you barely fit under the machine it will be harder to get the weight moving. Most of the people that I know that complained of it being harder were the big body builder types that had to force themselves into the position to start the press. I remember when I went through FLETC in 99', one of the universal machines started about an inch off my chest while the other was much lower and difficult to use. The one we used for the PEB was the easier one in the small weight room. I believe 370# is the max weight on the stack.

When I went to FLETC in 99 we got 3 lifts and they took the best of the 3. The universal machine is a lot easier. I lifted the most in my class by maxing it out with ease. If I remember correctly, they said I lifted like 375, but in reality my max with free weights ever is 305. If you are benching 275 with free weights, my guess is you can probably max out their universal;provided they still have the same machines.

Not going to CITP...just looking at various fit tests out there...I'm assuming the PEB has been validated legally and is defensible?

Originally posted by NomadicFed
    I'm assuming the PEB has been validated legally and is defensible?
    I don't know of any agency that requires their employees to pass the PEB in order to stay employed, so not necessarily.

For USBP the PEB is done twice during your 20 week stay. We do have midterm and final PT test that do determine wether you stay employed or not, but it is not the PEB. Like K9cop mentioned, the PEB is not used to determine wether you stay employed or not, but rather to gage your PT status.

nyfop Guest
    USPP have it where u need to do the peb and pass each year or u can be "terminated" from your job if you fail

I found there was a little "catch" in the universal's motion about 6 inches from the bottom. Probably because the thing is rusty. I found that a slow steady lift didn't work very, an exlosive lift will get you past the catch. With an explosive lift you want to be carefull not to hurt yourself. Also don't do too many warmup lifts and don't go too heavy because the first lift you don't put up will fry your muscles to the point where you won't be lifting much at all.
    My .02, John

Maybe I'm remembering things a little differently but I remember getting three shots at it. If you knew your max bench was say 200 and were sure you could nail it, then go for it on the first try. Most people were dropping back on the first try, say to something like 180 and then going up in 10lb increments on the second and third try. No sense burning out on a possible one time max of 200 and not having anything on the chart. If your butt came off the deck, it was no good. As I recall, your relative score was based on the amount lifted compared with your body weight. An old adage I've heard in weight rooms for years is that an exceptionally fit individual can lift the equivalent of their own body weight + 50lbs. I've always been able to lift slightly more weight with free weights as I think the universal machines remove a lot of the element of being able to "cheat" a little on the lift. You are basically locked in to one position with the universal machines. Conversely, I have consistently seen better results from utilizing the universal machines than free weights. So, to be opinionated, I believe the lifts done on the univeral machines tend to be a more accurate representation of one's max bench press.

Just some .02.

We took the PEB yesterday. The rules for the bench press are: You get as many lifts as you want, as long as your butt is still on the bench. The PTD staff recommend maxing out within 5 lifts, since burnout will result with too many lifts.

If you don't know what you can lift, they will suggest a weight based on your body weight. It's best to start off with a weight you know you can lift and then work in 5, 10, 20 lb increments from there. I have seen people get on the bench, request something beyond their abilities, get burned out, and get scored with a weight far below their abilities.

As far as the harder/easier issue, I think it goes both ways. Someone mentioned a catch point on the universal. There is some "slack" before the bar actually starts lifting the weight. Some people suggest taking up the slack, much like shooting a pistol, then exploding from that point.

I would highly recommend practicing on the universal (it's in the big weight room), prior to the PEB.

The Park Police did require the PEB every 6 months. I never heard of anyone being fired for not passing it. You could get 4 and 8 hour time off awards for doing well.