Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Bergen County, NJ

Anyone here have any info on the Bergen County Sheriff's Department? I just received a certification from them and was wondering if anyone has any info about their process and phases. Thanks in advance for anything you could share.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll die today

Ask Ny12

Ny12 went through the process for BCS and is starting the Academy in Aug I believe.

I haven't seen him/her post in awhile but you might want to send a PM.

Good Luck.

Only thing I can tell you is basics, nothing about the process. They are the largest agency in Bergen County, do corrections, investigations, and court orders, and court and jail security- no patrols. There has been a LOT of political bs going on (the county politicians towards the current sheriff, trying to weaken him for the next election perhaps?- been all over the newspapers.) I have a family friend who works there, so if you have any questions, PM me and I will see what I can get answered for you!
    I can tell you everyone I have met seems fairly happy there.

icon31.gif Not much to add but

I have a few contacts in the Jail Ops division. The deputies there will gripe about the starting pay, only 27K + OT last I heard. But.. they top out at 75K+ in five years. The dept seems to treat the COs well except for one big issue. I have been told that if they want to get out of the Jail division they have to test again. No laterals. Not sure, but what I've been told.

Good Luck.
    "There is no second place winner"-- Bill Jordan

Bcsd

The BCSD starts at 32K on the current contract out of the academy. Top pay is 87K and change in 7.5 yrs. Additional pay for shift diff. and education. The current sheriff has restored pride and honor to the patch from the previous sheriff ciccone who was selling honorary badges to civilians and attempting to do promotions in the same manner. From what I hear, those who had the chance to work with the current Sheriff, Sheriff Joel Trella are very pleased with him as their boss. He does everything on the up and up.

You usually start off in the corrections div. of the BCSD but after approx 8-10 years, based on longevity and merit you have a chance for a promotion to across the street which is the courts, you can also qual. for BCI (det. bur). It's def. a good department to get into and have alot of career routes. Many do not take the promotion because of the loss of the overtime in the co div. The county police is the main patrol function on the county level, but SD are still allowed to make traffic stops.

icon31.gif

Thanks for the update with more current info. Obviously I was not privy to the latest contract.
    "There is no second place winner"-- Bill Jordan