Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Apd Swat Week

Dan105 Guest

Apd Swat Week

Day 1- Week 17 (Officer survival week)
    a crap load of pushups,situps, pullups, side struttle hops, butterfly kicks, a few miles of a fast paced run, running up and down a steep water tower set of stairs. fun fun fun YA right!! I cant wait till this week is over.
    We were told today that when we start scenerios tomorrow and for the rest of the week that we will be fighting the SWAT guys. Full on fist fights.
    I was like WHAT? I'm a pretty good fighter but I'd rather not get punched if I can help it. OH well, should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan105
    Day 1- Week 17 (Officer survival week)
    a crap load of pushups,situps, pullups, side struttle hops, butterfly kicks, a few miles of a fast paced run, running up and down a steep water tower set of stairs. fun fun fun YA right!! I cant wait till this week is over.
    We were told today that when we start scenerios tomorrow and for the rest of the week that we will be fighting the SWAT guys. Full on fist fights.
    I was like WHAT? I'm a pretty good fighter but I'd rather not get punched if I can help it. OH well, should be interesting.
    That sounds like a blast!

The PT portion sounds very similar to what we have been doing at our academy, though I am guessing you APD boys turn it up a notch in terms of Swat.

Enjoy the scenarios... We did some today in low light conditions and I learned a ton.

Also, I am not sure if they have already covered this or not, but if they have not gone over a good balanced fighting stance, remember to keep your reactionary hand up to defend against strikes.

We had a scenario with some of the DT instructors this past Friday (who were wearing Fist suits) where we were to serve an arrest warrant on a non-compliant subject. It turned into a baton exercise but for those who lowered their reactionary hand, the instructors were able to slip some jabs in to the face. I got caught 1 time. I didnt care for that so I kept my hand up there.

Dan105 Guest
    Graduated SWAT WEEK!!!!!!!!!!
    All the tough stuff for the academy is finally over. No more PT no more DT no more academic tests. Just a few misc classes and crap. 7 more work days and I am sworn in. We are swearing in on Dec,3. We have a 3 day week this coming week cause of thanksgiving and then a easy 4 day week following that. Finally this whole day academy is winding down to the end. 20 weeks of hell. I have to say I think the Atlanta Police Academy is one of the best schools out there. It was tough all the way around in all aspects but it was worth it. thank god its over soon, I cant wait to get out on the street

Quote Originally Posted by Dan105
    Graduated SWAT WEEK!!!!!!!!!!
    All the tough stuff for the academy is finally over. No more PT no more DT no more academic tests. Just a few misc classes and crap. 7 more work days and I am sworn in. We are swearing in on Dec,3. We have a 3 day week this coming week cause of thanksgiving and then a easy 4 day week following that. Finally this whole day academy is winding down to the end. 20 weeks of hell. I have to say I think the Atlanta Police Academy is one of the best schools out there. It was tough all the way around in all aspects but it was worth it. thank god its over soon, I cant wait to get out on the street

Awesome news, man! I had no doubts you would make it through. Do you know what zone you will work once you are on the road?

Dan105 Guest
    Not sure which zone. I wont know for a while. Next friday we will be told to report to a zone for the following 2 weeks and then after that is almost up another 2 weeks to a different zone and a different shift and then do it one more time before we go to our permanent assignment. But from what I hear next friday ( the 3rd) when we swear in we will be told our permanent assignment but who knows. We are off till monday. So we have 4 days of work left and then its a misc day friday and we swear in before we leave. Its been a long academy, Im happy I am finally going to the street.

It's good to see that you're finally got through it all. Congrats.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Dan105 Guest
    hey thanks man, it was all worth it. Im happy that I came down to Atlanta

Likewise, congrats both both you and dubtastic in making it out of the classroom and onto the street.
    -Can you look yourself in the eye and honestly say: ''I have never, while high on crack, driven a bank-robbery getaway car into an elementary school?''