Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any advice

peanut76 Guest

Smile any advice

Hi, I am hopefully starting the police academy in January. I have been getting ready for the PT test that I have to take to get in. But I was wondering if anyone had any good advice for me to help me out with it. I have always wanted to be a cop since I was a little kid. Now i am 28 and think that I am very ready for this. So any help would be great.

peanut76

Don't take anything personally in the academy. Don't try and stick out. Either you will look like a kiss butt in front of your classmates, or you will look like an idiot in front of the instructors. If it's not an overnight academy, it shouldn't be too hard to adjust to. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Trooper
    Don't take anything personally in the academy.
    Agree, just "play the game" as I was told and now tell the people whom I instruct.

As far as the PT part, being in shape will help you to better deal with the mental portion (stress and studying at night after PT). Being out of shape is no reason to fail a law enforcement academy.

If you want a program, PM me, and I will give you some ideas.

Stay safe.
    "Here's to us and those like us, in fact there are few. . ."

Quote Originally Posted by peanut76
    Hi, I am hopefully starting the police academy in January. I have been getting ready for the PT test that I have to take to get in. But I was wondering if anyone had any good advice for me to help me out with it. I have always wanted to be a cop since I was a little kid. Now i am 28 and think that I am very ready for this. So any help would be great.

peanut76
    As others have said, attitude is everything in the academy and on the street. Maintain a happy face and take nothing personally. If you have a thin skin you will not like the world of LE. I suggest that you learn to bond with the members of your class. A good police academy should be challenging, but not miserable. If it is miserable, then perhaps you picked the wrong vocation. I attended a P.O.S.T. academy with people from all over the state. Most of us stay in touch and use one another as resources when required.

So far as preparing physically for the pre test and the academy, work on your aerobic fitness level and upperbody strength and flexibility. All of them will help you in the academy and on the job. In the two LEO academies I attended Defensive Tactics (DT) was where trainees most often got injured, set back or dropped in the academy. It has been my experience that if you are in good physical condition you recover from the aches and pains that are inevitable when you practice DT and tactical handcuffing. I still hate practicing the "Iron Wrist Lock Takedown", especially, if I am the guy being taken down. it is a lot easier to take hard all if you are physically fit and flexible.

Depending on how much time before your academy commences, begin your training slowly but progressively, especially if you haven't been working out. A combination of running and biking is great for building cardiovascular endurance. Simple exercises like sets of push ups, dips, pull ups and crunches are a good start for toning muscles. If you use weights or Nautilus, start with a reasonable amount of weight that you can do ten reps with 10 times and build up to 15 or so. Everyone has their own philosophy on this, but this is what has worked for me and many LEO's I have trained with.

Obviously, if you have any physical limitations or restrictions check with a physician before you begin a physical training regimen. If you can afford it, consult a personal physical fitness trainer at your local "Y", health club or college fitness center for a physical assessment and to help you develop a personalized fitness program.

I have been through a state and Federal LEO academy and a number of physically challenging military courses. I am by no means a super fit athlete, but I always reported the first day with a better than average level of fitness. Being physically fit just makes everything else in the academy and on the job much easier. For me, P.T. made the daily routine of the academies I attended much more tolerable. On the job it is my "mental health program". It helps counter the stress, routine, exposure to the elements/weather and bad attitudes encountered on the job .

Good luck. Feel free to PM me, if you would like any other suggestions.

Irishcopper

Just a thought…. Shouldn’t you have already taken the PAT if you were planning attending academy in January 05? The January class only a few weeks away from starting.

I don’t know what your physical condition is………but if you’re overweight, diet, and do tons of cardio NOW. You’ll need to be good at pull-ups, dips, sit-ups crunches, bench press……. but most of all……..run!!! Run EVERY day, and keep going farther each day.

As far as 28 goes, you’re a kid. I’m 45 and passed it…….but I trained seriously 6 days a week with a trainer for 6 months. The best thing is, I look and feel great.

Keep your mouth shut and your ears and eyes open. The academy is only for a short time. it may seem long, but in the scheme of things, it's only a few short months. That being said, dedicate the proper amount of time to your studies. Learn that law.

The one piece of advice I would give that I learned the hard way is each and everything that the Instructors do is done to make you the best Police Officer you can be. MO Trooper put it best. Do not stand out, try to get through being invisible, trust me in the first couple of days the Instructors will find the ones they will make examples of. Practice saying: Sir, yes Sir. And remember the more you sweat in the Academy, the less you'll bleed on the street. (LAPD Academy motto).
    Last edited by ds36; 11-27-2004 at 14:46. Reason: spelling

Just my thoughts...keep working out as this will help with academy pt..alot of times you will need to bring a certain number of items with you on your first day...often they'll give you a list..don't bring any more or any less than what's on that list..guys in my class did that day one and they paid for it..If your academy has a orientation before the class starts..Pay attention to what they tell you...The first few weeks will be the hardest but it will ease up as time goes on...and if they require it make sure your name is on everything...I even had my name on my pens.. ....good luck and it may seem like it's dragging but it will go by very quick
    Last edited by Sgt Jack; 11-28-2004 at 16:17. Reason: Typos
    "Is there some place you'd rather be Vincennes?" " Yeah working narcotics looking for Mickey Cohen's missing H."
    Kevin Spacey as Sgt Jack Vincennes...LA Confidental.

peanut76 Guest

Cool Thank you all

I just wanted to say thank you for all the advice that you guys have given to me. It will be very helpful when i go for my test. My PT test is scheduled for Dec. 30. I will be sure to let you know how I did when I get home that day. Hopefully I will pass it with flying colors cause I have been working very hard to achive my goal.

Thanks,
    Peanut

peanut76 Guest

icon31.gif Thursday

Well the PT test is thursday at 6AM and I am so nervous but I hope that I will pass with flying colors. I have been working hard to pass it so hopefully it will go well. I hope everyone had a happy safe holiday.

peanut

Goodluck man, I am sure you will do great. Just strive to do your best and don't ever quit.
    "There is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." -Hemingway

Don't be nervous

Treat the PT like a game, and you'll do fine. At least that's the way I looked at it...and I'm an older, not terribly athletic guy compared to most of the other applicants. Pretend that it's just another day working out at your local gym with a bunch of friends.

I prepared well for the PTs I've taken and I've ended up with some of the best run times of my life, better than I ever did in high school. And more pushups and situps than I ever thought I could do in a minute. I'm not bragging...just encouraging you.

You'll do fine...keep us posted on how it went.

EE

Peanut,
    As others have said relax and do your best. It sounds like you have prepared well. Remember, if you aren't fun then you're doing something wrong!

Good luck!

Irishcopper

peanut76 Guest

icon20.gif Thank you all

I just want to say thank you everyone for all your support. You guys have been a great support threw all this. I will be sure to keep all your comments in my mind when taking the test and I will be sure to let you know how I did. And I know if I don't make it this time I will just have to work harder and try again in the fall. I refuse to give up that is for sure.

Thanks again,
    Peanut

Academy

If this is what you really want, then put forth 100% and don't quit. Remember, you got an opportunity that many wished they had. Listen and just go along with the program. All the screaming and P.T. is just one big mind game used to weed out those who are not dedicated enough. Good luck.