Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

1 month down, 6 and a little more to go.

Well, many of you have gone away to training and have reported back and I truly appreciated it when you did, so I feel obligated to check in every so often to do the same.

First off, there are a ton of people in my CITP who peruse this board. I thought it was pretty funny when I was sitting next to a class mate in the computer lounge and he said, "911jobs hey I have read your stuff before."

The work load is not too tough so far, though I am told it gets tougher and tougher as the weeks go on. Because of the holidays and the 5 day schedule we are going to be here for the better part of 12 weeks. Which is is only tough because we then hump back up to DSTC for another 4 months.

The food, pretty much bites, as you have heard over and over. Chicken everything and boiled meets, and undercooked leather that they call beef. Breakfast is the best meal of the day, really how can you mess up breakfast.

We are in the new dorms (186 I think) and they are pretty sweet. Like small embassy suites. TV, VCR, Microwaves, little fridges, ironing board and irons are in all the rooms in our dorm. Rented a bike, its a Walmart special but its good one and for 45 bucks you can't beat the peace of mind.

Oh, on the transportation tip, BRING YOUR CAR!!! DC, you can get away with not having one, but down here the freedom of having the ability to leave when ever you want, would be nice. I did not bring one, and I am the only schmoe who did not. Fortunately our class rocks and it has yet to be a problem, but you know you don't want to be that guy.

My classmates are great! Little personality quirks are coming to light but you take the good with the less than good. We have some great backgrounds and we have some guys that oppitomize the cliche resume:

Lots of Master's degree's
    one PhD
    two JD's
    2 prior 1811's
    1/3 prior military
    1/3 prior L/E
    1/3 everything else under the sun.

Some things to think about before you jump into DS with both feet first:
    Currently, you will not go back to the office you were hired from unless you were hired from the Washington Field office, in which case you will be going to the Washington Field Office. Your first 2 moves are directed at the needs of the service. You will be moving overseas, but you will not likely do that as quickly as previous classes have.

Some things I have learned strait away, you are just as good as everyone else in a different way. Just because you don't have 8 years special ops, 4 years local detectives, speak 2 of the 4 high demand languages, have a 3rd degree blackbelt in kickyourassofu, does not mean you don't bring as much or more to the table.

If you make it through the process you are good enough, you are smart enough and somebody likes you. That being said, take advantage of your team mates strengths and lend them yours when you have the chance. The training phase has shown that we work as a team to get along, if nothing else we are going to work together to get along.

Oh, and if you were anything like me, you will want to know about the PT. We have some seriously fit folks in our class, but then again, there are strengths and weaknesses. One guy can run like the wind, while another has to get another bench because the one they test everyone else on, did not go high enough. Come in the best shape you can, but know that you are going to get better if you want to, while you are here. PT, can be pretty weak, as they only really have time to do 12- 1.5 hour sessions in the 2.5 months we are here, however our instructor had us in the mat room after our PEB for an extra 30 minutes. I think our group may have pulled the short stick, but its all good.

Have a nice day.

Great post reid, really brings me back to CITP. Just a question though: you mention you have two prior 1811's in your class...what agencies are making them repeat CITP? And also, what is a general break down of agencies that are in your class? I am always curious as to who is represented in CITP.

Again, great post for all interested in DS and CITP. Good luck with your remaining time and maintain that positive attitude.

reid - Are you at FLETC?

If your words were food, my mouth would be watering. Thanks for the update Reid. Always good to hear from people who are where I want to be.
    The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men. -Plato

Food the good ole FLETC chicken.

I loved the food at FLETC. After Marine Corps chow halls, Army mess halls, Navy shipboard "dining facilities", c-rats, t-rats, MRE's and foreign mess facilities FLETC provided some of the best large scale cooking I have ever had, and I LOVED the chicken.

Thanks Reid and keep up the hard work!

Very informative Reid - thanks!
    Better a hundred enemies outside the tent, than one inside.

- Arabian proverb

EPA-CID
    Legacy INS

The EPA guy did not have to repeat.

REID, thanks for the updates.

Sounds like you are having fun down there. Thanks for the updates and good luck!!

Malone