Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: 1911 Colt .45

LawMan4525 Guest

1911 Colt .45

Does anyone know why some states (Massachusetts in particular), doesn't allow the sale of the 1911 .45 Colt? Yet they allow the sale of the Smith and Wesson "1911" model .45. The one gun I want, and I live in one of the states that can't sell them!!! Pisses me off! Also, can anyone tell me what is a good gun to buy. I have (dept. owned) Glock 21 .45 cal, but new departmental policy states I cannot use it, regardless of civilian regulated mags or not, as my off duty weapon. I must purchase my own off duty weapon if I wish to carry an off duty one. I like Glocks, but they aren't my style...The 1911 Colt .45 is, but alas, read above haha.

I'm not sure how the Mass state law works with regard to what meets their "safety" criteria and what does not.

However, S&W is making some nice 1911s. I am a fan of the 1911 also, but if you can't stomach a S&W, and still want a .45ACP that isn't a Glock, you may want to consider the Sig 220 or Sig 245, if either of those is available in Mass.

EDIT to change Springfield to S&W once I realized I misread your post.
    Last edited by UncleSugar; 02-21-2005 at 02:15.
    "What we need are critical lovers of America - patriots who express their faith in their country by working to improve it." - Hubert Humphrey

nwohsy Guest
    Massachessetts ban on the Colt 1911 has less to do with it being a 1911 and more to do with the fact that it is a Colt (maker of the oh so evil AR-15 ASSAULT weapon). Despite the anti-gun leanings of the state, S&W's are produced in Springfield. Banning ANY S&W means fewer jobs, which is very bad politically.......

Dylan889 Guest
    I think Massachusetts has a "chamber indicator" requirement. I think this is very recent. The SW1911 has a half moon hole on the chameber that lets you see the brass, hence... a chamber indicator. "Mass hole" might be spreading because of the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts . Also, Colt isn't making them like they use to. The other 1911 manufacurers have surpased them in more ways then one.
    There are also "casing fingerprint" issue. The manufaturer has to provide a fired casing, I know Kimber does not. See "Stupid" Glock Question

Who has that quote on here???
    My gun has killed less people than Ted Kennedy's car!!!
    Last edited by Dylan889; 02-21-2005 at 14:17.

Dylan889 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LawMan4525
    Does anyone know why some states (Massachusetts in particular), doesn't allow the sale of the 1911 .45 Colt? Yet they allow the sale of the Smith and Wesson "1911" model .45. The one gun I want, and I live in one of the states that can't sell them!!! Pisses me off! Also, can anyone tell me what is a good gun to buy. I have (dept. owned) Glock 21 .45 cal, but new departmental policy states I cannot use it, regardless of civilian regulated mags or not, as my off duty weapon. I must purchase my own off duty weapon if I wish to carry an off duty one. I like Glocks, but they aren't my style...The 1911 Colt .45 is, but alas, read above haha.
    I have herd good things about the SW1911 especially the SC1911(lighwieght 4" verstion) I would get one if I had the money.

LawMan4525 Guest

Update

I am purchasing the SW1911 5" barrel .45....Thanks for the help! Now I just have to wait for the Gov't to give me my tax refund, and it's mine!