Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Frustrated

Frustrated

This question is directed to everyone on this board including mods. Its been a long haul and I swear I give it my all when I test at whatever agency it might be, but I'm begining to feel that maybe this is not my calling. I passed a few tests but failed other parts of the selection process. Right now I am in the BI for San Diego Sheriffs courts and detention deputy. I will be taking the LASD test in a couple of weeks. Can anyone give me advise on how to prepare and what I need to do to pass my tests.

Quote Originally Posted by 1ABCBP
    This question is directed to everyone on this board including mods. Its been a long haul and I swear I give it my all when I test at whatever agency it might be, but I'm begining to feel that maybe this is not my calling. I passed a few tests but failed other parts of the selection process. Right now I am in the BI for San Diego Sheriffs courts and detention deputy. I will be taking the LASD test in a couple of weeks. Can anyone give me advise on how to prepare and what I need to do to pass my tests.
    What areas of the testing process are you not passing thru? If it's the PT tests, for example, you need to get in better physical shape. Give us a little more info to go on. The more we know, the more likely it will be someone will be able to offer sound advice. Good luck with your future applications. Keep applying.
    "Our worst has to be better than their best."

Tough question without knowing the specifics as Cascade points out. This question my attract a moderator. Per their rules:

5. Don’t Ask “Crystal Ball” Questions

"Crystal Ball" questions are difficult to respond to. For example, some members post a lengthy autobiography followed by the question: "Do you think I have a chance to get into law enforcement." The answer to a question like this one is simple: No matter who you are and what you've done, nobody can answer this type of question with any degree of certainty. Oftentimes your likelihood of getting into the profession boils down to things like written and oral communication skills, knowledge of the ins-and-outs of the hiring process, the type of position you're seeking, "who you know," and other factors. Your best bet is to contact the agencies you're interested in and ask them directly.

Not a criticism at you, it's just about impossible to answer. Quote above is from the Rules of the Board section. Best I can say is keep trying different agencies until you find the one you fit. Good luck!

Sorry about that guys, My problem is with background investigations. What can be done to make that go smoothly?

Not much someone can do to change ones background. You either meet the criteria or you dont. One of the most important things you need to remember is to be honest and truthful. Never try and sugarcoat anything and never assume a minor issue is not worth mentioning. Minor issues will not get you terminated. Failing to disclose them will. Simply tell you BI everything he needs to know. Having a few red flags on your record is not the kiss of death. Red flags may result in you having to wait a little longer from application to hire. But hey, we aint looking for perfect angels here. Some applicants can never be LE officers because they have too many, or one big issue(s) in their background. It doesn't mean they are bad people. It just means that a career in LE may not be in the cards for them.

icon22.gif

Quote Originally Posted by 1ABCBP
    Sorry about that guys, My problem is with background investigations. What can be done to make that go smoothly?
    There's really nothing you can do to make your background go smoothly. Not clear if you have bad things in your background getting you passed over or dropped from the job process, or if you are just not able to complete the forms (maybe you moved a lot).

If it's negative things in your background there's really nothing you can do. All you can do is give yourself some time from the negative in your background until you apply again. If it's a problem with a former supervisor or co-worker you can always try and contact that person to see if you can make things right with them, but generally once the damage is done, it's done.

If you want to be more specific feel free... If not, that's OK also. If you have nothing (like a felony or a DV conviction) that would drop you from the process right away, just try and live your life and keep your background as clean as you can. No quick fixes for the background. If it's something big (like a DV conviction or felony) no amount of time is going to fix that...

Kahuna

[QUOTE=1ABCBP]This question is directed to everyone on this board including mods. Its been a long haul and I swear I give it my all when I test at whatever agency it might be, but I'm begining to feel that maybe this is not my calling.

Don't get down on yourself......I didn't get job offers from every agency I applied to.....got snubbed by some and looked at by others. I did learn a lot from going to a bunch of interviews. I became more confident and continued to better my weak areas. I tryed to learn as much as posssible about the agencies I was being interviewed with and became familar with their testing. Also there are a lot of books out there that have practice tests, so you can become familar with the testing style.
    Good luck.

As other have said, the only thing you can do is be honest on everything and, if you have issues, put time between you and them. Good luck in the process.
    "Our worst has to be better than their best."

soskidav Guest
    great advice they have given. only thing I would add is you might beable to get on as a DO some where and work your way up good luck

Thanks for the advise guys, the problem I was having was with my Employment history. There were a couple of times I got terminated. My BI says to re apply in 2 years. Wish I could fix it.

runsprockett16 Guest
    Dont give up, theres too many people out there applying just because they woke up and decided that day they wanted to be a police officer , they are the ones that give up.
    If you want this and are serious about it, you just have to stick with it.
    You can do it.