Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: SFPD E-120 Q2's

SFPD E-120 Q2's

Has anyone received any feedback regarding the oral exams two weeks ago?

Thanks.

No news is good news ...

Last I've heard, out of the 2200+ that applied, only 917 made it to the oral board examination.

I wonder how many failed to show up or didn't pass the oral exam...and the ones that did show up, wonder how many actually passed...?

I can bet you that at least 10% or more didn't bother to fill out the lengthly PHQ. It was due April 1st.

The scheduled June class already is half filled with applicants from the E-119 list, so they will have room for maybe another 20 or so applicants from this current E-120 list. If you passed the oral and have submitted your PHQ along with all the required documents, they will work on your background first.

It's already April, I don't see how they can finish a background in less than 3 months to fill the remainder of that class. I would guess that the remaining spots would go to the lateral entry applicants (POST certified, academy trained and already on the job, I think there are 20 or so that made it, out of the 42 that applied to the SFPD...) that have made it to the background stage because it's easier to do since all they would really need is to obtain their old background material from their law enforcement agency and update the info or conduct some minor investigation, like a new credit check, fingerprint check, driving history check, etc...I am one of those lateral entry applicants. I have been with my current agency for 6 years and is looking forward to being a SFPD officer. I think going through the same academy twice is unnecessary, but it's a requirement.

If anyone has any other info, please post here or send me a PM. Thank you and good luck.

7 Point Star:

After my oral exam they told us exactly the same thing...1200+/- after the written, then 917 after the PAT. As far as the June Academy goes, they said there are 45 slots with 15+/- already filled from the E-119 group. There is no way SFPD will finish our (E-120) backgrounds in two months, so I suspect the 30 or so other slots for the June Academy will be filled with laterals from other agencies.

But on the bright side, they also told us that there will be two more academies (after the June Academy) during 2005. Additionally during the briefing, she (the backgrounder) stated that the Mayor has authorized money for 450 new officers, with 150 hired per year through 2007.

As for my PHQ, I downloaded the word format version and mailed it on the 22nd. I spent a whole day preparing it, and made sure it was complete and included all required documents in my packet. The last thing you want is a messy or incomplete packet…or it's right to the bottom of the pile. Good luck with everything.

Rumors...

The E120 list will have at least a 1.5 to a two year wait for any type of appointment.

There will not be any additional classes after June in '05.

The Mayor has not allowed for any additional funds. Regardless, the City budget is year to year, he can't allocate funds into 2007.

A Civil Grand Jury just gave the Chief several "options" in order to slash the SFPD's operating budget, in light of the City's 87 Million dollar deficit. She isn't known to be confrontational to City Hall; BIG changes are expected and should be announced in the next few months.

The four year contract is really good (including an upcoming 5 % raise in July, '05) BUT the future after the current contract expires it's looking pretty glim, right now.

The Dept. is down about 300 Officers. On busy weekends, it's now becoming common for outside districts to be called into other districts during peak times on hot calls: i.e. Tenderloin units going into the Mission, Northern going into Central, Southern into The Bayview, etc. The staffing is becoming pretty bad, and will only get worse through time, even with the new hires.

At my Station, we're down approx. 9 Officers, 3 Sergeants, which is a lot for a small (busy) Station.

The bodies are needed, but I don't think there will be the funds, even with Federal monies, to get the staffing upto the 2200 that's required in the City Charter.

-dan

Quote Originally Posted by dano1427
    Rumors...

The E120 list will have at least a 1.5 to a two year wait for any type of appointment.

There will not be any additional classes after June in '05.
    Hey Dano:

I'm sure since you work for SF you have a much better idea as to the current hiring situation than I do. With that said, I won't say the name of person who told us, but I will say that after my oral interview the entire Q2 group at the Holiday Inn went back down stairs and we were briefed by a Sgt. from the Backgrounds Unit. We were also shown a PowerPoint presentation at the same time confirming everything we were told.

It was during the briefing that the Sgt. stated, "after the June Class, there will be two more academy classes for '05, but the second of the two might be in February '06." Again the information was contained in the PowerPoint presentation as well. Additionally we were told by the same Sgt., "the Mayor has authorized 450 new officers/hires for the next three years, at a rate of 150 per year, and there will be three academies per year through 2007."

So if my information had come from another Q2, you without question have grounds to say it was nothing more than rumors, but considering the source, I'm hoping to be working sooner rather than later. Here's to hoping!

P.S..Any other info you have about the hiring process would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Matador; 04-02-2005 at 21:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Matador
    It was during the briefing that the Sgt. stated, "after the June Class, there will be two more academy classes for '05, but the second of the two might be in February '06." Again the information was contained in the PowerPoint presentation as well. Additionally we were told by the same Sgt., "the Mayor has authorized 450 new officers/hires for the next three years, at a rate of 150 per year, and there will be three academies per year through 2007."
    Also, remember that the "authorized" 450 anticipated hires through 2007 does not have to come from the E-120 List.

They can have additional examinations to come up with new lists.....E-121, E-122, E-123, etc... and hire the top 50 from each list and hire the cream of the crop.

I see it like this,

If I get hired, good.....

If not, it's not the end of the world.

I am already a fulltime CA peace officer.
    Last edited by 7 Point Star; 04-02-2005 at 22:37.

Hmmm...Don't know about what the Sgt. said, but the Civil Grand Jury proceedings are supposed to be very bad for the Department in terms of fiscal issues.

It would be cool, if it works out as presented.

The Academy can only run two classes at once (IMO), as there's not enough room up there. There have been more than two, in the past, though.

What's scary about those numbers is this: If they come to fruition, in '07, 450 Officers will be new or Probationary. That's half of the uniformed patrol staff. Wow....

-dan

Would you believe that 4 recruits already dropped out of the current academy class? Here are their reasons,

1) Didn't know that he had to work midnights...

2) Didn't know that he had to work weekends...

3) Didn't know that he had to work holidays and mandatory overtime...

4) Childcare issues...

To those of you that are not familiar with law enforcement. Let me tell you that it is a 24/7 operation and that it's mostly based on seniority. Being a rookie, you take whatevers leftover, which usually isn't very desirable. Try and imagine the worst scenario possible and determine if you can handle it or not.

If not, do everyone a favor, don't take the positions away from other potential recruits who really want the job. Bunch of idiots, I hope they will never get hired again with another LE agency.

Also, the academy is going to be para-military style. You will get yelled at and ordered to do things you might not want to do......tough luck, suck it up and do as you are told! This ain't summer camp, it's police academy!

Just being real.

Quote Originally Posted by 7 Point Star
    Also, remember that the "authorized" 450 anticipated hires through 2007 does not have to come from the E-120 List.

They can have additional examinations to come up with new lists.....E-121, E-122, E-123, etc... and hire the top 50 from each list and hire the cream of the crop.
    I couldn't agree with you more. Considering the E-120 list lost more than half of the Q2's from the written to the PAT, and then lost another 25% from the PAT to the oral exams, I'd say the odds are definitely in favor for future any applicants.

As for me, I'm giving it my best effort, and if it's meant to be, then it's meant to be!

I can tell you that I love this job... I miss the Tenderloin but I am getting acclimated to my new home. I am already getting signed up for a lot of the open training spots and classes, 11550, Traffic accident Investigation, Officer Involved Shooting Experiential... etc.

To tell you the truth I don't think I could do Law Enforcement anywhere else, but some of the quirks do take a little getting used to...

Like Dano said about staffing, I work in the Taraval, but have covered calls in the Mission and Ingleside so far...
    SFPD - Co.F
    God created Police Officers so Firefighters could have heros!

Quote Originally Posted by dano1427
    What's scary about those numbers is this: If they come to fruition, in '07, 450 Officers will be new or Probationary. That's half of the uniformed patrol staff. Wow....

-dan

It is kind of scary... We are for the most part a very young department already (as you are well aware), with something like 50%-60% patrol having less than 5 years...
    SFPD - Co.F
    God created Police Officers so Firefighters could have heros!

sfkid Guest
    7 Point Star,

Don't believe everything you hear....you are correct regarding the child care issues, but everyone in my 208 class is well aware of the work schedules that will be assigned come September. I can't go into detail of why others quit, but one of my peers had to leave last week, because he broke his rib cage from DT and NOT because he just wanted to quit. (I can tell you about this b/c it was made public, that he will be readmitted into the June class, once he fully recovers.) I take offense to anyone who calls any of my peers "idiots," b/c you're just going on rumors at best.

p.s. - I think we all really want the job, b/c everyone on the E119 list waited 2 1/2 years (including myself.) Unfortunately for some, they had to take care of issues beyond their control.
    Last edited by sfkid; 04-04-2005 at 23:20.

sfkid,

I apologize if the info wasn't accurate. It was mentioned to me by other cops.

Tell your class president Hinds that his old coworkers said hi. He was in my police academy class back in 1999.

Good luck to you and your fellow recruits.

sfkid Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 7 Point Star
    sfkid,

I apologize if the info wasn't accurate. It was mentioned to me by other cops.

Tell your class president Hinds that his old coworkers said hi. He was in my police academy class back in 1999.

Good luck to you and your fellow recruits.

Thanks, good luck to you too. I'm assuming you work in the Sheriff's Dept right now?

10-4.

I'm on the E-120 List and is waiting for my turn.

I don't miss the academy though...

Before you know it, the pain and suffering will be over and you and your fellow recruits will reap the rewards of being a SFPD officer. I should have done this 6 years ago, now I'm in poor shape and 6 years older.

Good luck and keep us posted.