Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

MN Sheriff's Offices

I am looking for info on either Anoka County and/or Washington County in the metro Twin Cities area. Specifically I am interested in department morale and general reputation, hiring process, work shifts and schedule, and any other basic info. I have been to both agency webpages and am looking for more specific info than either of them provide.

Thanks
    Can't you people take the law into your own hands? I mean, we can't be policing the entire city!
    -- Chief Wiggum

I won't comment on reputations/morale and I don't know anything about their work schedules. But I do know both Anoka and Washington County are nice counties to live and work in. I believe with Anoka County, if you are hired, you do your FTO on patrol and then can get assigned to just about anything: Court Security, Jail, and eventually (if you wish) you can move to Crime Lab or CID (detectives), or just stay on patrol. Don't quote me on that, though.

If your curious about shifts and scheduling, I would ask those questions during an Oral Interview when they ask the obligatory, "We've asked you a lot of questions. Do you have any questions for us?"
    Be safe,

KP

"The thing with money, is that it is a lot like currency." --a local meth-head.

Both great departments. I can comment on Anoka. I've applied at both and have come close, but I am still trying. Anoka patrol deputies work 3 shifts and cover 7 cities and townships in the county. There is a rotation to court security and the hours aren't bad, 8-4:30 M-F, off on holidays, however you can always pick up extra hours at patrol if there are any available.

Anoka county's population continues to grow and many of the townships and cities have extended their contracts for LE coverage. I would be happy to work at either department.

msp Guest
    Last I heard, Washington Co was taking apps

jay202 Guest
    If I remember right, there is a Wa. Co. Deputy on this board. If I remember his handle, I'll PM you. Good luck!

BCPDfun Guest
    Washco is a nice county, I was offered a job their not to long after i got on here. Their sheriff is retiring so what might be good or bad depending on who you talk to will change soon. Pay isnt the greatest their but once your in who cares.

Ruken Guest
    I am an Explorer at the Washington County Sheriff's Office and can tell you that it is a great place.

Staff-
    Everyone from the Deputies to the Janitors is friendly and professional.
    The building is very new and clean with top notch landscaping work witch helps boost morale. Deputies seem to enjoy working there.

Reputation-
    Everyone seems to like the Sheriff's office around here. Out of three cities with Police departments in the county, the Sheriff's is regarded to be the best among most that I have talked to. I have had fellow students tell me that if they get pulled over, they hope that it's a County squad because the Deputies are "fair, nice, and professional."

Hiring Process-
    The hiring process for this county seems to take about 3-4 months. They are almost always looking for new Deputies. I believe there are three oral interviews, background check, and a psych exam. One of the three oral interviews is a stress test in witch they try to get you to change the answers to there questions and second guess yourself.

Work Shift-
    Deputies work 8-hour shifts. They're about 10 Deputies per shift and 1 Sergeant.

Morning Shift: 6:30am-3: 30pm
    Day Shift: 2:30pm-11: 30pm
    Night Shift: 10:30pm-7: 30am

Each shift begins with role call and each Deputy presenting any notable events from their previous shift.

I would be happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Being in a lateral transfer class, I have been able to talk to a lot officers from other departments. There is a former Wash Co. Sheriff in my class and he seemed to enjoy it. I also went on a ride-along with Wash Co. K9 a long time ago and he like it also.

Hey pervis, Dick says hi! Good guy. We are both at the same level in terms of firearms so it has been fun to compete against him. Now I just have to meet you in person one day.

K9

msp Guest
    Just one thing to keep in mind....

Washington County has LOST a lot of deputies to other departments.

Quote Originally Posted by K9 Police
    Being in a lateral transfer class, I have been able to talk to a lot officers from other departments. There is a former Wash Co. Sheriff in my class and he seemed to enjoy it. I also went on a ride-along with Wash Co. K9 a long time ago and he like it also.

Hey pervis, Dick says hi! Good guy. We are both at the same level in terms of firearms so it has been fun to compete against him. Now I just have to meet you in person one day.

K9

Bring it on, bro!

What other departments had guys leave for SPPD in this class?
    Be safe,

KP

"The thing with money, is that it is a lot like currency." --a local meth-head.

Lets see; Roseville, Edina, Eagan, Wash co., Goodhue Co, Inver Grove Heights, New Brighton, St. Francis, St. Louis Park, Woodbury, Maplewood, Centennial Lakes, Richfield and a couple of others that aren't coming to mind right now. Definetely a diverse set of departments throughout the metro region. It is fun to be able to hear what everyone thought of their departments and how things were run there.

Talk to you soon.

K9