Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Do you feel safer with a gun?

Hey I was just wondering if all of the correctional officers in the USA carry a sidearm?

For those that do, do you really feel safer with it?

In my opinion holding a sidearm would only make it more dangerous to work in a correctional centre, since it is a closed environment.

Here in Canada, no provincial institution or remand centres have any form of lethal amunition. Only the federal system have guns and only in the towers.

FYI: I have about 6 weeks left in basic training before i start work at a muti level provincial correctional centre in Manitoba and the only "weapon" given to us is pepper spray.

----Marc

icon22.gif

Here in the USA I know of no correctional facilities or jails that allow their officers to carry a firearm while working in a secure area with prisoners. State prisons here in CA have armed guards who work away from prisoners in towers and areas overlooking where prisoners are. Transportation officers will carry firearms while transporting prisoners, but even they are separated.

Not sure what prisons/jails you are speaking of that allow their officer to carry weapons while in the institutions....

Kahuna

me ofc Guest
    same here none that i know of at teh faciltiy i worked at no mace/pepper spray, or batons. just you head and hands use head first and you may not need your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by me ofc
    same here none that i know of at teh faciltiy i worked at no mace/pepper spray, or batons. just you head and hands use head first and you may not need your hands.
    Those are my only two weapons too. I use my head the most. My hands are used to separate the fighting inmates, but that's about it. The only time I use my weapon is when I transport inmates to hospitals, courts, etc.

I believe NYS Corr. issues firearms to it's officers but only for wear on specific duties and off-duty protection.

I think the issue with most corrections officers is that they would like to be able to carry a weapon off duty. not on duty.
    Speed, surprise and [low tolerance for non-compliance].

Quote Originally Posted by Group 9
    I think the issue with most corrections officers is that they would like to be able to carry a weapon off duty. not on duty.
    I'm allowed to carry on the bage in my dept, but at the same time I have my CCW permit.

mcsap Guest
    CO's in Penna are not sworn LEO's and off duty need a permit like any other citizen.