Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Question Brown County (WI) S.O. - Opinions???

Just wondering what others thought of the Brown County Sheriff's Department in Wisconsin. Pay/overtime opportunities? Reputation? Do they require you to work in the jail first before getting your car? Anything else you'd care to add would be appreciated (since I'm thinking of applying).

- Steve

PS: Reason I ask, is because I've noticed most Sheriff's Offices in Wisconsin pay less than most of the moderately sized cities, and have been leary of applying with a SO.

wisso Guest
    Try Dane Co, SO-

I currently work for them. You start as a sworn deputy in the jail. It takes approximately 3-5 years to see the light of day on patrol. Pay is good, starting at roughly 32K. You transition to an 18% incentive pay with a 4 yr degree after 3.5 yrs. You serve a 2 yr probationary period. Not bad for a SO, located in Madison, WI.

-wisso

Billymadison Guest
    Brown County SO has deputies start on patrol. They have civilian corrections officer. Pay starts out a little on the low side, but then tops out high. NO RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT!!!They just opened a new jail and office about 6 weeks ago on the far east side of green bay by the university. Its a good place to work. There is some talk of brown county going to a metro police department in a few years, but that will be a political nightmare. Deputies patrol several villages that contract for service and the unincorporated areas of the county. They also patrol the beltway around green bay. I think they recently ended the recruitment for next years eligibility list. They generally test every summer for the next year's list and they have been known to start using the next years list in october or november even. They have joint recruitment with Green Bay PD.

I just turned down an offer from them a couple of weeks ago because I had taken the position im in now a few months ago and just bought a house. I couldn't swing a move.

BTW, you are going to find that SO's generally pay a little less than the larger police department in the same counties. SO's provide you with more opportunity for advancement than most PD's.

Smile

Thanks for the info, everyone. Keep it coming as you hear things.

Billy,

I have my application in alreayd, and will be at the U. taking their test for both the deputy and the police officer positions. I know that Green Bay PD is nationally accredited, but haven't heard anything about the S.O.

On a side note, you should have seen me turn that application in! I thought I had found the right one on the website, downloaded it, filled it out completely. Administrative lady calls 7 hours before the deadline on Friday and says she received my application, but it's the wrong one! Sh1t!!! So she tells me where to get the one that I need, I hammer the thing out of the typewriter and fax it over to her (I called a second time to make sure she had said to fax it, since most departments won't accept them). Called a third time to make sure she got it and that it was very legible. Whew!

Billy, you're in Madison, correct? Or are you working for Dane Co.?

Take care, and be safe.

- Steve