Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Cbp Work Hours And Locations

This is a question for all current CBP officers. The port that I currently work at is on a six day work week. Sunday is a day off for everyone and the rest of the days rotate Monday through Saturday. We also work five 8 hour days. Could you please share with me the type of schedules that are being used at various ports?

Thanks for any info?

Ay my port we are on a seven day workweek with sliding days off. We work 2 shifts with CBPc's 0800-1600 and 1600-2400. The CBPi's also work 0000-0800. We used to have Sundays off and if you wanted to work it was OT. Now since our cruise ship traffic has picked up we went to seven days.

icon29.gif 7 day here

We are also on a seven day work week. I am at a land border, so with the necessity of being available 24/7, the two days off in a row help out alot. We were previously on the six day work week, with Sunday being OT. You could always book them off if you wanted, but alot of people chose not to. Only thing then is that you got only one day off per week, which meant 2 days off in a string of 14. The new system is much better. Better availability for OT, and a definate morale boost all the officers here.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

We'll put a boot in your ass, it's the American Way. - Toby Keith

7 days here. There is no rhyme nor reason for our schedule except that every 4-5 weeks we get a 4 day weekend Friday through Monday off.

JFK is tricky, it depends on what side of the belt your on (i/c). The port is open 7 days with 24 hour rotations.

CBPi has shifts starting at 0500, 0600, 0700, 0800 almost every hour on the hour until 1600 plus a dedicated midnight shift.
    CBPc has 5 shifts 0600, 0800, 1300, 1600 and the Midnight.

Our work week is 6 days on and two days off rotating, m-t, t-w, w-t and so on. On or about the 6th week we have two 3 day weekends, assuming we are not drafted.

All in all its better than the old INS schedule which was 7 days on, 1 day off, I still cant believe it was like that. Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

Hope this helps....

Thanks for sharing the information. Our port is currently on a 7 day work week, but begining next pay period we are going to the six day work week. There are alot of mixed fillings, and most officers seem to be leaning towards the negative side of this new schedule.

The port I am at now is a 7 day work week that is a cluster ........ No ryhme or reason, but the Supervisors get 4 day weekends every three weeks and have told us that we can't have it. I find it funny since my previous port was able to function with 2 weeks days, two weeks swing, two weeks mids and still do the four day weekends every three weeks.
    "Good, Our First Catch of the Day." SW:V ESB

Quote Originally Posted by cbp1888
    work week. There are alot of mixed fillings
    feelings .

correction in the grammar.

My Port never closes. We work six 8 hour shifts with 2 days off that rotate 1 day forward each week. When our days off hit Friday / Saturday they connect to Sunday / Monday of the next week. The upshot is we get a 4 day weekend every 5th week. We rotate through the shifts 0-8, 8-16, 16-24. We also have 6-14 and 14-22 shifts with weekends off. It's OK but I miss 12 hour shifts 4 on 3 off, 3 on 4 off. Thats the schedule in Nevada DOC.

Quote Originally Posted by cbp1888
    Thanks for sharing the information. Our port is currently on a 7 day work week, but begining next pay period we are going to the six day work week. There are alot of mixed fillings, and most officers seem to be leaning towards the negative side of this new schedule.
    Note management...Get ready for the bang-ins to start. Not everybody is an overtime monster and the ones who are will burn-out this summer.
    "The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Bear2219 Guest
    Before I left for DSS I was with CBP at San Ysidro/Tijuana and we worked the normal 5 days a week with 2 off days but got drafted at least for 2 other shifts a week so in essence we worked 112 hours in 2 weeks sometimes alittle less if they cut you early. "The ROW is another animal completely seperated from the norm of CBP." The only thing good about the row is that i saw and took part in every aspect of federal law enforcement life and it helped me get into DSS no doubt. Hope this helps.