Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: .25 auto

.25 auto

What would be the best .25 auto for self defense ? I need something with the knockdown power of a .45 ACP, but the size of a pack of cigarettes. Any ideas ?

Quote Originally Posted by GS1890
    What would be the best .25 auto for self defense ? I need something with the knockdown power of a .45 ACP, but the size of a pack of cigarettes. Any ideas ?

Although its not a .25, I have a stainless Beretta Tomcat that is both compact and surprisingly accurate. The Tomcat is a .32 acp. I think for ankle or purse carry its a dynamite little gun! The Glock 26/27 is great but the frame is bulkier and not a pack of cigs type gun.

- BigLew

Browning .25 ACP

It's tiny but not quite as small as a pack of cigs.

Unless there is some incredible reason for the .25, I'd avoid carrying it for self defense. You can bump up to a 9mm w/o that much bulk. A .25 is too light for a defense load. DM
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
    Hunter S. Thompson

I would stay away from the .25 auto. Many reasons why, 1) little if any knockdown power 2) most .25's are just slightly smaller than some sub-compacts. My brother got a Kel-Tec in .32 acp. Nice "little" gun. My 10yr old son shot it very well. Good luck.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
    -- Dolores Ibarruri `La Pasionaria'

icon22.gif

I will echo what others are saying here. I don't think the .25 is a good round for self-defense. The size difference between a .25 and some of the bigger calibers is negligible, so why not bump it up. Personally a 9mm would be the minimum I would want to use. If for some reason every 9mm out there is too big, then if you have to, why not look at the .32, or even the new .xxNAA caliber from North American Arms?

Several things to consider. Even if you could find a small gun in a huge caliber... How well are you going to be able to control and shoot it? Not going to do you much good if you are able to shoot a massive round with a huge flame coming out of a small barrel if you can't hit a target right in front of you. As for finding a gun the size of a pack of cigarettes that shoots like a .45... Very few will fit this bill. Only guns I can think of would be some derringer type. You can find a *VERY* small 1 to 4 shot derringers in a variety of "big" calibers like .45, .44, 10mm, etc. So the closest you'll probably get to .45 performance is to actually shoot at .45 through a small derringer gun. It will never be the same as shooting it through a full size handgun due to barrel length etc. And you sacrifice ammo capacity in exchange for size.

Depends on what you really need/want the gun for.

Good luck!

Kahuna

Erik Guest
    There not much of a reason to dip below the .32acp benchmark in hideaway guns these days, what with the proliferation of reliable .32s and .380s on the market.

I prefer the Seecamp LWS32. It is the smallest of the breed, though not the lightest. It is not exactly heavy though, weighing in at a "whopping" 13.25 oz loaded with 7 .32acp cartridges. It disappears on my person when need be. Poof. It is gone to the world around me.

Many swear by NAAs, Keltecs, and Berettas. Keltecs in particular seem to be developing quite a reputation given their price point, size to weight ration, and lately, reliability.

There's a trade off, of course. Whether it is worth it is up to you. I know more than a few who carry hideaways as second and even third pistols. They’re often times the pistol of choice in non permissive environments. A .32 in the pocket trumps a .45 left at home.

The .25 is an excellent load for poorly trained children to create nightstand mayhem.

It also tends to infuriate anyone shot with it.

As such, it is a very dangerous load.

FOR YOU.....................

The Answer is There is No Answer

Quote Originally Posted by rzaruba
    The .25 is an excellent load for poorly trained children to create nightstand mayhem.

It also tends to infuriate anyone shot with it.

As such, it is a very dangerous load.

FOR YOU.....................
    RZARUBA -

You are a wise man! I got a call one night of a GS victim in the ER. Get there to take a report - found old boy had been hammered 7 times with a .25 and was PISSED. Wanted them plucked out in a hurry so he could revisit the shooter (a single mother whose home he tried to enter, sans invitation, as it turns out).

He went to jail - the next morning - and she got some advice on a better weapon.
    Last edited by PEACE; 05-26-2005 at 22:28. Reason: damn fat thumbs
    Better a hundred enemies outside the tent, than one inside.

- Arabian proverb

Just remember that if you use the .25 to shoot someone,
    shoot them in the face. Makes them easier to identify in the
    lineup.

(Stolen from Skeeter Skelton, noted lawman and gun writer)

As the risk of sounding like a broken record: I wouldn't try to kill my self with a .25 much less anyone else, I've heard to many stories of people having to shoot themselves multiple times to achieve the desired result or failing altogether. A former coworker used a keltec 32 and swore by it. The only problem he had with it was that it is so light that it fell out of his pocket and he didn't notice until he saw it on the floor. Time for a good pocket holster. I don't advocate the .32 for serious work but it beats the hell out of a .25 and there are several on the market that aren't any larger than a .25.
    Stay Safe, John

icon22.gif

In defense of the .25 auto... I handled a homicide where the victim (a very large/fat individual) had taken a round to the chest and was dead by the time he hit the ground. I know you hear of no one shot kills with the .25 and if someone is wearing heavy clothing or is very large it won't penetrate enough to kill.... Wrong... It did. I also had a friend that carried a little .22 off-duty and as a backup.

I made fun of him many a time in the locker room when I saw the little pea shooter. His famous line to me and anyone else that would challenge his underpowered mouse gun..

"Let me shoot all the rounds from my .22 into you (your face, your body, etc), then when I'm done you can shoot all of your rounds from your backup into me... I go first go course..."

No one ever took him up on that... I'm willing to bet if any of us had a .25 pulled on us, we'd probably behave the same way as a .44 being pulled on us.... A gun is a gun after all...

Kahuna

Quote Originally Posted by dmclark
    Unless there is some incredible reason for the .25, I'd avoid carrying it for self defense.
    DM,

Funny you mention it. I was on the job a couple of years and was at the range. There was a guy just out of the academy looking for an off-duty piece.

He was looking at .25's, so I asked him WHY, of all loads, he was looking at that.

His response was that he heard that lots of guys shot themselves in the a$$, and he wanted something that wouldn't do much damage in that situation.

Then my old partner bought an old Bauer off of another guy. Didn't compute with him that the reason the guy was selling it was that it went off on its own when he had it on the TV stand and shot the TV. So he's climbing a stairway in the south Bronx, and you got it.

Years after retirement, he's still a legend.

The Answer is There is No Answer

I guess if you applied that logic, we'd have more folks carrying rubber band guns!

I've seen guys shot and killed with a .25. Sure, it works. I've also seen guys killed with a beer can opener, but I wouldn't want to put my life on the line with either!

If you've been around the tactical training block, you know that drawing and firing a .25 with the idea of a head shot is foolish at best. And an aggressive assailant, unless hit in the old motor cavity area, is going to brush off that .25 in his belly and hit/knife/bludgeon you with something before he decides to sit down.

Too many great handguns these days in great tactical calibers that one can effectively carry. The .25 is cute, but not tactical. If you're planning on winning the fight and going home to Mama, stay .38 and higher on the caliber scales! DM
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
    Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna5150
    In defense of the .25 auto... I handled a homicide where the victim (a very large/fat individual) had taken a round to the chest and was dead by the time he hit the ground. I know you hear of no one shot kills with the .25 and if someone is wearing heavy clothing or is very large it won't penetrate enough to kill.... Wrong... It did. I also had a friend that carried a little .22 off-duty and as a backup.

I made fun of him many a time in the locker room when I saw the little pea shooter. His famous line to me and anyone else that would challenge his underpowered mouse gun..

"Let me shoot all the rounds from my .22 into you (your face, your body, etc), then when I'm done you can shoot all of your rounds from your backup into me... I go first go course..."

No one ever took him up on that... I'm willing to bet if any of us had a .25 pulled on us, we'd probably behave the same way as a .44 being pulled on us.... A gun is a gun after all...

Kahuna
    Seen a friend get shot right in front of me by a badguy using a .22, they guy was at a range of 50-60 yards. The .22 hit her in the a$$, bounced up her left leg and hit every major organ except her lungs and heart. She lost 5 feet of small intestine and now has a scar that runs up and down the fron of her body.

The .22 is MORE dangerous than the .25, it is rumored that some people/agencies(non U.S.) have used it for wet work.

If I'm gonna get shot, let it be with a .25, then I will wipe it off my shirt and press on.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
    -- Dolores Ibarruri `La Pasionaria'