Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Grooming standards: FLETC/DSS

Anyone know where I can find info on grooming standards for the DSS? Searched the Net and the board and didn't come up with anything.

Similarly, does FLETC as a whole have a set of grooming standards, or is it just agency-specific?

I stick to the idea of not having any particular aspect to be called out on (beards, muttonchops, piercings, etc.), but just like to know what the rules on this stuff are. I'm coming from a military background, so I'd just like to see what the rest of the world considers "normal." Living in an organization that forbids "eccentric haircuts" yet endorses high-and-tight haircuts as a splendid example of 'conservatism' may have altered my worldview a bit.

MD

icon22.gif

I can't speak of DSS specifically, but FLETC in general. You will see a wide range of grooming there. I have seen longer hair, goatees, etc. I think each agency will have it's own standards, but frankly I did not get the impression FLETC cared one way or another. The only area FLETC is very tough on standards is with PT. You are not allowed to wear any jewelry at all on PT, *UNLESS* it is taped up. So if you have a wedding band, or religious medallion you have to have it taped. Ring has to be taped on your finger and the medallion has to be taped to your chest.

Obviously you can't have a pierced lip or other jewelry while in PT. Other than that I never saw anyone raise an eyebrow at anything else.

I think it's a good plan to lay low in training. Specific agencies seem to be a bit more hard core than others. Obviously if you're in an ATF class with 24 students, or an ICE class with 24 students you're probably going to get a lot more attention from the ATF or ICE agents assigned to FLETC. If you're with a small OIG and you're the only one from that agency in your CITP class, you probably won't be getting as close of supervision. This is especially true if your OIG does not have an agent or staff assigned to FLETC on a permanent basis. From what I saw firsthand (an AFOSI class was just upstairs from my CITP class), the military organizations sending 1811's through seemed to be more strict. All the AFOSI agents in training wore an AFOSI ball cap when out and about (outside the building). Everyone with AFOSI and NCIS I saw when I was there had short hair (for males) and very conservative hair/makeup for all the females I saw.

Kahuna

Quote Originally Posted by MikeD
    Anyone know where I can find info on grooming standards for the DSS? Searched the Net and the board and didn't come up with anything.

Similarly, does FLETC as a whole have a set of grooming standards, or is it just agency-specific?

I stick to the idea of not having any particular aspect to be called out on (beards, muttonchops, piercings, etc.), but just like to know what the rules on this stuff are. I'm coming from a military background, so I'd just like to see what the rest of the world considers "normal." Living in an organization that forbids "eccentric haircuts" yet endorses high-and-tight haircuts as a splendid example of 'conservatism' may have altered my worldview a bit.

MD

Semper Fi...

DS + Standards....?!?!?!? Nope. I would go conservative and it is encouraged, but if you want to wwear a beard you ca, as such a goatee is fine too. Longer hair is not osmething i've seen so don't know, but would not encourage it. More than DS standards the appearance that one puts forward will have a big effect on wht your peers think of you... you know how that works... but hey dude... grow if you want... it is the foreign service you know....

Congrats and welcome aboard.

-T
    The poster formerly known as DSSAGENT"

Grooming Standards

First, welcome to mainstream America. Watch the morning news for guidance on what's acceptable/stylish at the workplace (the anchors, not the stories from Elkins, WV!). If you want everyone to think of you as "Conventional Military Guy", by all means, go for the high and tight, navy suit, and clip-on tie. Play it conservatively until you develop your own style and what works for you.

Thanks for the info...the 'welcome aboards' are much appreciated but a tad premature, as I'm still sitting on the register. Still, I'm high enough on it that I might slide into the July class. Not thinking I will, but there's a possibility...otherwise, I'll keep growing hair and working in a bike shop or something until the new FY rolls around.

Certainly don't want to be thought of as the 'conventional military guy;' hell, no one ever thought of me that way before I got my DD214. And after travelling for a few months in a camper van, I sure don't look the part. Just looking to get my first haircut, actually, now that I've grown out my low-reg, so thought I'd see if there was anything I should do or avoid doing. Guess I'll just go for the 'don't look stupid enough to get noticed' theory. Hell, I almost managed to pull that off in OCS...almost...

MD

Good plan to stay off any radar. Been to FLETC (3) times now, liked it more each time. You will see ALL kinds of people and styles of dress. The grooming issue is a funny one. You'll see people that look as if they just came from an enlistment poster, then 5 mins later you'll see somebody that would shock a biker! Lots of in the middle. For the most part nobody cares. FLETC doesn't and if your class coordinator doesn't say anything at the start of your trek...well then your're good to go.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
    -- Dolores Ibarruri `La Pasionaria'

BigMac Guest
    MikeD...I am sure they taught you better grooming standards at IOC....what would those Capt's think now!

I am just getting my low-reg ready for the world......

s/f
    Mac

Quote Originally Posted by BigMac
    MikeD...I am sure they taught you better grooming standards at IOC....
    Oh, yeah... "Remove at least 75% of cammie paint before going to Outback Steakhouse in Fredricksburg...

If you want me to donate some hair for your extensions, I can be of service. Plenty to spare right now.

MD

Grooming DSS

I love DS2501's comments, you always make me laugh out loud. DS standards are somewhat lacking, but common sense prevails (on some things). It does differ among offices, but here are the general observations I have seen. It includes me almost stopping a suspicious looking guy in NYC during a detail who had long hair and a biker goatee. Imagine my surprise when I noticed he was DS, would have been very embarrasing to do a terry stop on one of our own.

In training keep it low key. There was an agent in my class who started their reputation at FLETC and it has followed them ever since. I'll bet that only 100 agents would know this agent by sight, but I'll bet at least 50% of agents have heard the agent's name in a non-positive manner.

In the field, as long as you don't look like a biker and dress well when it is "dress up day" (free advice- go to a place like Jos. A. Banks, check out the sales and have them take care of you).

Good luck and be safe,
    DS

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Sierra
    There was an agent in my class who started their reputation at FLETC and it has followed them ever since. I'll bet that only 100 agents would know this agent by sight, but I'll bet at least 50% of agents have heard the agent's name in a non-positive manner.

DS
    Come on DS, please don't leave that dangling. What did the agent do?

MikeD...I am sure they taught you better grooming standards at IOC....what would those Capt's think now!

I am just getting my low-reg ready for the world......

s/f
    Mac
    Mac, you look like a bum no matter how long your hair is.

BigMac Guest
    USMC_0203
    "Mac, you look like a bum no matter how long your hair is."

I feel the love from my fellow Marines.......

I feel the love from my fellow Marines.......
    Watch out, Mac. That's not my love...at least not in a literal sense...