Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: SDSO, anyone?

deckard9732 Guest

SDSO, anyone?

Just curious if anyone here has tried with San Diego County or is currently trying. If so, what's happening? How are you doing? Where are you at in the process?

Cool

I tested with the SDSO on 17 Mar 01 and I got my results back 05 Apr. I didn't hear anything till about a week ago when I got a letter stating that I was eligible for the position of Sheriff's Cadet. I have to report for an orientation meeting next week. I don't have a clue what the orientation meeting consist of. All I know is that I have to come dressed like it was an interview. If someone could give me some info., I sure would appreciate it.

FYI- They are testing again 15 Sep 01.

So, what do you do in the Navy?

deckard9732 Guest

progress...

SARDOG,

I too tested back in March. I got my results back fairly quickly and did the orientation almost three months ago. I was there with about thirty or so other candidates all dressed to kill (so to speak). One of the BIs did the orientation thing, we filled out a card and also had to fill out the Personal Inquiry Questionairre. It's kind of like the Personal History Statement, only shorter but it asks the "hard" questions. It took me about an hour and a half to fill out. After that, I waited to be interviewed by one of the BIs. He sat with me and we went over the whole thing, then he gave me the PHS and various other things to fill out. Trust me, you want to be as THOROUGH as possible with this thing. Oh, and don't forget anything when you go back to turn it in, otherwise he might DQ you on the spot. Anyway, my PHS turn in was the last time I met with the BI and now I'm just waiting it out. I think the next step is the Voice Stress test, if I'm not DQ'd that is. I'm curious as to why they're taking so long with you.

I'm a VLS Gunner's Mate on a ship out here in SD. Four months left and I'm out. I'm crossing my fingers like a madman with the S.O. but this BI that's working with me is making me nervous. I hope you have better luck. Keep me posted and if you have any questions, let me know.

icon22.gif

You probably scored better than I did on the exam. That's why you got interviewed before me. I would assume, but we all know what assuming does. Did you fill out the PIQ and the PHS in the same sitting? Should I bring some of my other applications with me that have all my background stuff listed in it?
    Have you tried calling them and asking them where you are in the process? Did you wear a suit to the interview? I have called and emailed but I have'nt gotten a response. I imagine they are extremely busy. When we tested in March I couldn't believe how many people showed up.

What is a VLS? I'm a helo crewman and I also separate in 4 months. Have you filled out any veterans preference paperwork with these guys?

deckard9732 Guest
    No, you fill out the PIQ there and they give you the PHS to fill out on your own. You'll see why, it's 20 some odd pages long. TYPE it if you possibly can, unless you have the handwriting of the gods. I don't think you'll be allowed to use anything while you fill out the PIQ, but you will need your ID. They'll tell you this but DON'T call the BIs, they hate it. They'll say, "if you bother us on the phone, we'll have that much less time to do your BI". I wore a suit and tie both times I went in there. If the first letter of your last name is in the upper half of the alphabet, you'll get a female BI. I don't know anything about her because I have the guy. His name is Det. Ken Smith. He'll be sitting with you when you turn in your PHS and will look up your credit history right there in front of you so if you have credit issues, SOLVE them now.

Vertical Launching System. I'm on the USS Oldendorf here on 32nd st. No, no veteran's preference, I didn't think it would apply but I may be wrong.. Yeah, there were a buttload of people at that test. I'm surprised I've made it this far.. Hope you do well.

By the way, have you applied with any other agencies here?