Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is an RMP?

what is an RMP?

What does RMP stand for, I've seen/heard NYPD ofc. use this term here in the midwest we call 'em squad cars.

LOL..... it stands for "Radio Motor Patrol units". Having survived RMP training at Police Academy Driver Training today, let me tell you they are FUN to drive!

I thought I read somewhere that there aren't any radios in the NYPD RMP's, just the officer's portables. Is that a budget based decision? I know in someplaces in the city I work for, the portables can't reach the repeaters but the car radios can, so I would think both would be needed?
    "To the German Commander, "Nuts!" The American Commander." - General Tony McAuliffe, 101st AB

Quote Originally Posted by NYPDNick
    LOL..... it stands for "Radio Motor Patrol units". Having survived RMP training at Police Academy Driver Training today, let me tell you they are FUN to drive!
    What did your class entail? Since there are sooo many RMPs within NYC, what is the standard equipment in it? or is it pritty much the same as always.

Quote Originally Posted by LearninginMN
    What did your class entail? Since there are sooo many RMPs within NYC, what is the standard equipment in it? or is it pritty much the same as always.
    Lights, Sirens, Partitions. Typical automatic Crown Vic or Impala. Impala's are a little smaller, FWD, Crown Vic RWD.

you guy already had rmp training? im in the academy right now, the most action we have seen is vest fitting.... next week helmet fitting YAY!!!!

Welpe-

In the Philly PD, we only use handsets too. We use the 800MHz Motorola system, and it SUCKS. The portables have all kinds of trouble reaching the repeaters, especially in the subways and in elevators.

A few years ago when we were still on a 450MHz system, we had both portables and in-car radios. The portables were much weaker than the car radios were, but, the car radios we had then were better than the garbage portables we have now. We actually now use the same system as our Fire Dept does, and about a year ago they had two firefighters die because the garbage system didn’t transmit into the part of the building where they were working, and they never got the “get out now” message that was transmitted right before the building collapsed and killed them. The building was a drug lab, and the owner was charged with two counts of second-degree murder.

$50 Million for an inferior system. Sorry for the rant, but the radio question brought the tragic story to mind. I won't even buy a Motorola cellphone today because two firemen died and they still haven't resolved the problems.

Exclamation

Slightly on topic...On the West Coast, driver's training for Emergency Vehicles is called EVOC (Emergency Vehicle Operations COurse). Some Dept's it's twenty hours, my Dept does 40 hours of EVOC. All CV's (NOT all CVPI's, though)..

Slightly off-topic about trunked 800MHZ radio systems: My City/.Dept went to an 800MHZ Trunked System to the tune of 40 Million bucks.

It's in its fourth year of service, and it sucks: Poor reception in buildings (almost no reception in the Station), poor reception in transit tubes, on freeways, etc etc. I feel it's an Officer Safety Issue, and a 40million dollar fraud. The old 460MHZ system worked much better.

LAPD did the right thing and kept their 450MHZ radio band, but split the channels and went digital, which my Dept SHOULD have done, but didn't...

-dan

No Radio's in the "RMP's". Our portables work pretty much anywhere, except if you go into the Subway's.

Transit has a seperate frequency down there, with repeaters throughout the tunnels.

Soooo... For all you rooks out there, don't go running into the "hole" without a partner standing at the stairs, OR a Transit Cop is with ya. No radio reception down there.

Be safe!

Hey NYPD Guys/Gals

Also off topic, I know "MOS" refers to a cop in NYPD lingo. Could someone tell me exactly what it stands for?

Thanks.
    "To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

Thomas Paine, English American political activist, writer and revolutionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Welpe
    I thought I read somewhere that there aren't any radios in the NYPD RMP's, just the officer's portables. Is that a budget based decision? I know in someplaces in the city I work for, the portables can't reach the repeaters but the car radios can, so I would think both would be needed?
    OK kids, HISTORY LESSON coming up! Yes.... its true, that the only radio in an RMP is the portable on your belt. But the term itself is "historical" 'cause they used to have two way radios once upon a time.

The first patrol car was used in 1917. Later when radios were installed, the radio inside the vehicle could only receive messages. This required the officers to pull over to a call box and acknowledge the messages when received. In 1937, technology had improved and two-way radiotelephones were installed in RMPs. It wasn't until 1950 that all police cars had two-way radios. Nowadays, one just uses the portable, although in some vehicles like ESU trucks for instance, we have built-in citywide radio equipment too. Got it? 10-98

Quote Originally Posted by Chaser199
    Also off topic, I know "MOS" refers to a cop in NYPD lingo. Could someone tell me exactly what it stands for?

Thanks.
    My God, all these QUESTIONS!!!!!

MOS = Member Of The Service

My God, all these QUESTIONS!!!!!

MOS = Member Of The Service
    Thanks Nick. Maybe I can return the favor one day when a foreign federal acronym comes your way.
    "To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

Thomas Paine, English American political activist, writer and revolutionary.

A question about the handheld radios, does the NYPD assign each officer a take home radio or do they have to sign one out at the precinct?

Quote Originally Posted by BADBOYS
    A question about the handheld radios, does the NYPD assign each officer a take home radio or do they have to sign one out at the precinct?
    They actually issue you a "clip" to fasten the portable to the headboard of your bed at night....... always annoys the wife!

Kidding,....... you always sign it out, and you always return it, otherwise youre dead!