Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Question Working for Hometown SO -- Favoritism Factor?

I just found out that my hometown SO is hiring (Wood County, Wisconsin). Pay is actually quite good, and I know the county and cities fairly well. My question is, does working in my home area lead to implied favoritism?

I know quite a bit of people in the area, and they would all probably expect "favors" from me since they know me. Then, when I decide not to, I'll turn into the instant a$$hole. Has this every happened to any of you? I can assure anyone that I don't play favorites at work at all (well, maybe with family to a small degree). Or would it be better to work outside of the home area?

Thanks for your input and advise.

- Steve

PS: Feel free to include any opinions of the Wood County Sheriff's Department if you're familiar with them.

I'm not sure how big Wood County is, but dealing with people you know is a constant in rural law enforcement. Discretion is one of the things you have to learn how to use once you become an officer/deputy. I personally wouldn't arrest or cite somebody who was a friend or relative unless I absolutely had to. I think most people who are really your friends will respect that and try not to put you in that position. If I stopped my best friend for speeding 67 in a 55 though I am probably going to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I do that with people I don't know sometimes as well.

Z

Wink

I would look at this long term. If you become an officer in this
    town/area, are you going to retire there?
    I would rather live/work at least 30 miles from my home town. That way when I retire, I could move home and leave the IDIOTS I have arrested.
    On the other hand, if you have a commitment to the community
    (family,properity etc) go for it. As for friend wanting a break.
    If it is SMALL stuff, give them ONE break. If they are a frequent
    flyer type person you will get them again. This way when it comes up you gave old fred a break back in 1996.
    Keep records too. Looks great when you write on the ticket, you warned old fred last month for failing to stop at the same stop sign.
    You will always be an ASSHOLE to a certain amount of
    the population. THEY will just have to live with it.
    If you go back, get involved in the community. Church, community groups, boy scouts etc. The more community exposure
    you have, the better. (NOT connected to the JOB)

Wink

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to go for it. I requested an app today (they mail it, even though I live in county seat). Also, this a patrol deputy position (what I want). I think that if it should be offered -- and I haven't been hired by anyone else -- I'll take the job. If I focus on the positive sides of working in my home area (knowing the location, people, etc.) I think I can do well. Also, since my main goal is become an 1811 with USSS I can handle the job for a few years until they hire me.

Doesn't sound like a bad job... $35K+ starting, $41K+ after 30 months. Two weeks vacation after 12 months, and 95% of health/insurance paid for by the county.

Thanks again...

- Steve

Lightbulb

Kels is right on. Depends a lot on the population of the county seat and the county as a whole. If the pop of whole county is less than 30K or the pop of the county seat is less than 10K, or the strength of the dept is less than 15 deputies, I would look elsewhere. Smaller towns and smaller communities just don’t get it.
    DelC
    “You never know if quotes on the internet are genuine or not" . . . Abraham Lincoln