Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Over $150 speeding ticket issue for SF86?

Hi:

I got pulled over for a speeding ticket here in the OC...and I am in the process with a few Fed LEAs....on the SF86, under the "have you ever been charged with a crime not listed above?" section, it says to ommit any traffic violations that cost less than $150....problem is that it looks like this ticket will cost a bit more than that, but just still an infraction....

Should I answer "yes" to this question? I hate to flag myself for the BI. The only other course of action that I can think of would be to answer "no" (It seems like the question is just trying to weed out moving violations) and then explain the situation to my Background investigator when it comes time for an interview...I am leaning towards erring on the side of caution though.....

Thanks!

You should answer the question yes and provide appropriate citation of the offense on an attachement sheet if necessary. Don't explain it or the circumstances, just cite the statute and a simple description of the offense. Among the things that the process will look at are your following the instructions. Similarly, failure to disclose may be interpreted as concealment which can result in your being passed over. With the SF 86 always err on the side of disclosure.
    ret.

Adjudication issue?

Hi:

Am currently a Fed LEO. However, I am putting in for a lot of 1811 jobs, which are pretty competitive. While a speeding ticket may seem pretty trivial, will it affect my BI adjudication at all? I have heard that many 1811 jobs try to develop something derogatory on applicants, so they can DQ many of them....

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Porttop79
    While a speeding ticket may seem pretty trivial, will it affect my BI adjudication at all? I have heard that many 1811 jobs try to develop something derogatory on applicants, so they can DQ many of them....
    Few federal agencies TRY to DQ people. Unless there is something that is an automatic DQ (such as a DV conviction), the adjudication process looks at the entire picture to determine whether or not you are suitable.

That said, the only thing you can do is be honest and let the agency make the determination, because every agency is different and applies its own standards to evaluating suitability. I'm honestly not sure what you are looking for...the question is pretty self-explanatory, and clearly you would have to say "yes" if the ticket is over $150. If one agency decides that ticket or other factors are enough for a DQ, then you can look at applying elsewhere. On the other hand, if you lie or intentionally conceal material information, you will never work as an 1811.

Quote Originally Posted by Porttop79
    While a speeding ticket may seem pretty trivial, will it affect my BI adjudication at all? I have heard that many 1811 jobs try to develop something derogatory on applicants, so they can DQ many of them....
    Having a speeding ticket will not DQ you. Agencies do not attempt to DQ you.

You DQ yourself by past actions, inability to pass specific phases, failure to meet minimum recquirements, etc. And not being COMPETELY honest on the SF-86, poly, background etc.

Tell the truth. If that DQ's you, then you were not supposed to have the job.
    "Here's to us and those like us, in fact there are few. . ."

Wow, you are a FLEO, and you didn't get a break for that traffic ticket ?