Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cherokee County Sheriff

Hey all...

(By the way this is the Cherokee County in GA)

There was a little info on this office on a few other threads, but I was wondering if anyone else had any info.

I have the agility test and the written test next week and am looking forward to it.

From the other posts it seemed that a lot of people had heard a lot of good things about the dept. Does anyone actually work there or have some more info?

One fact I am interested in is if they give take home rides or not.

Thanks all

Polar
    Last edited by Polarbr11; 03-09-2006 at 16:13. Reason: Wanted to put the State
    Es mejor perderse que nunca embarcar -Diego Torres

Don't know much about the department, but good luck with the testing next week.
    I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.
    Thomas Edison (1847-1931)

My old roommate started with them recently. I sent him a link to the thread, but I don't think he'll be able to post...
    You start off in corrections, which is where he is now. I don't really know much more than that.

edit: he says "the department is well funded,well managed, and is on the leading edge of technolgy and policy. the training is good and extensive and the personel are great."
    Last edited by 0351; 03-09-2006 at 20:25.

I talked to the recruiter and this is what I know--

They start about 28K move to 30K when certified. Even with a Masters degree they only pay $32399. So the starting pay is pretty bad IMO. You will work in the jail for years before you can even think about the street. Not sure about the take home car.

I have also heard they are managed well, but I decided I didnt want to be a CO.

Good luck

Cobb County...

Polar, I know Cobb County Sheriff is hiring. They start out at ~$35K a year. You will start in detention first and then move to street patrol. CC does not give pay incentives for education. However, your education will come into play when promotions, etc, are given.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by casey_rf
    Polar, I know Cobb County Sheriff is hiring. They start out at ~$35K a year. You will start in detention first and then move to street patrol. CC does not give pay incentives for education. However, your education will come into play when promotions, etc, are given.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks all

Sounds cool Casey...are you applying for Cobb County too?

I wonder how long I would be in the Detention mode?

Polar

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbr11
    Thanks all

Sounds cool Casey...are you applying for Cobb County too?

I wonder how long I would be in the Detention mode?

Polar

I thought about it, but working in a DC is not something I would like to do. As far as time, I really depends. I have heard of some being in the DC for years before moving into patrol.

Test Outcome

Hey all,

Wanted to thank everyone for the info they passed along, especially 0351...big help.

I wanted to report that I made the highest grade on the written and was able to complete the obstacle course en 1 min 03 seconds....had to pass under 2

At that point only 4 made it through both sections. It was sort of weird...only going through a half of day with your testing group you sort of feel a fondness for you perhaps future brother or sister. It was sad to see a lot of the group go when they didn't pass certain parts.

After the obstacle course the four of us were given instructions on how to fill out the BI packet (25 pages) and also that it had to be turned in before the Friday, 9 AM. It was Wednesday, 2:00 PM when we got it. I turned it in the next day at (Thursday) 4 PM...Talk about writer's cramp.

In Cherokee there are a lot of Latinos. And from what I hear, not many deputies that speak Spanish. I speak fluently, so hopefully this will give me some help in the rest of the process. In all reality I just have to pass the main interview....

I have never done a poly, which intimidates me, but I feel I am an honest person. I am not a liar, but have lied. (a sort of paradox) But all in all I would consider myself a person of integrity.

I HOPE this all goes well...

POLAR
    Last edited by Polarbr11; 03-20-2006 at 12:24. Reason: correction

Interviewed...

I had my interview today. It is hard to say how you do in there. They sent me out at the end and deliberated for like 1 minute and then sent me on my way. The guy who led the interview was a pretty nice guy.

I am supposed to hear something after Thursday.

Let's hope it goes well

POLAR

I had my interview today. It is hard to say how you do in there. They sent me out at the end and deliberated for like 1 minute and then sent me on my way. The guy who led the interview was a pretty nice guy.

I am supposed to hear something after Thursday.

Let's hope it goes well

POLAR
    Good luck.. Do you know what their tattoo policy is?

Quote Originally Posted by SBG
    Good luck.. Do you know what their tattoo policy is?
    I have no idea...check with the recruiter, he should know

More good news...Passed the interview...

My psych, poly and med is scheduled all for the same week

Polar

Passed the interview...

My psych, poly and med is scheduled all for the same week

Polar
    Excellent

Let me know how the psych goes, as always, you will do fine.

Psych

Had my Psych interview today...

Crap it is hard to say how you do in the interview...

Everything felt like it was going great till the end...then she questioned me from the way I answered a question and linked it with my job desires....it was well done, and warranted...but man did she pick my brain

I guess I will find out soon

Polar

Polar

That is a great time on the agility test. When I tested for that...my time was 58 seconds, which included a moment of me smacking my face against the 6 ft. wall as I leaped into it. The whole time running the course, I could hear people laughing, which was actually a bit inspiring.

About tatoos, I have seen deputies with tatoos, however I do not think they are fond of anything vulgar or would draw to much attention.

Poly...

I passed the POLY YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

A special agent with the GBI did my Poly and said after I passed, that I was 2 of 10...ouch

Polar