Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

NYC Corrections - a first in the nation????

Just letting folks out there know that NYC Corrections officers may receive police officer status under state law - their current status is peace officer (on the heirarchy chart, a step below police officer). The bill has been brewing for years and is up for vote at the end of the month/next month. I'm not sure if there are any other corrections dept in the country who have police officer status----

icon22.gif

Not sure what the difference (in NYC) between Police Officer and Peace Officer... Here in CA police officers, deputy sheriffs, district attorney investigators, correctional officers, etc, etc, are all considered "Peace Officers". There are certain limitations put onto the different classifications. Some can't carry firearms, but most can.

Jails here are run by the Sheriff's Department (not state prisons, but the jails)... Most have deputy sheriffs working custody in them. Those deputies have the same exact classification as any city police officer or deputy on patrol. Some have gone away from deputies in the jail and now use correctional officers or correctional deputies. Their status is a bit different from their full 830.1 PC (CA Penal Code) counterparts...

State correctional officers who work for CA Youth Authority or CA Dept. of Corrections are also Peace Officers and may carry firearms off-duty, etc.

Kahuna
    Humuhumunukunukuapua'a

Yeah here in NYC - the land of being different -- actually not just NYC but the entire state, correction officers are not police officers. To carry off duty depending upon the agency, correction officers either have to receive training and permission from their agency or they have to obtain a pistol permit.

In addition to NOT having a specific law that grants them the authority to carry off duty, there is also nothing in the current law granting them the powers to make arrests off duty, execute warrants, make car stops, write summonses, etc.......

Additionally, I believe their training right now lasts a few weeks. NY State police officer certification training lasts about 6 months. They would have to learn about the vehicle and traffic laws, other state laws, other local laws, car stop training, laws and rules pertaining to searches and seizures outside of jail facilties, etc... -- basically a ton of stuff.

Papi,

do you happen to know if one could view this bill on the internet or do you have a copy for release? I would be interested to read the bill and pass this info along to our dept.

thanks!
    Methos_tj
    "We will not rise to the occasion...we will only sink to our level of training." Grossman On Combat

I can definately see the COBA(Corrections union) and Norman Seabrook pushing for this, but hasn't anyone mentioned to the powers that be that this might open up the DOC and the city to more litigation if CO's start taking police action due to their newly anointed status?

Not for nothing, but between the varible supplement (which they didn't pay into, IIRC) the proposed free bridge tolls, and now the police officer status, is there anything the PBA has that COBA doesn't want? If they want it so bad, why not push for the merge of the DOC and PD that was rumored during the merge-happy Giuliani times.

If they get Police Officer status can they transfer to any department in the state or nypd. Also if they do get the status what would all of this do for them anyway. Whats the true chance that they will get this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna5150
    Here in CA police officers, deputy sheriffs, district attorney investigators, correctional officers, etc, etc, are all considered "Peace Officers".
    Yup, works that way in Texas, too. SO runs the jails, and most places require deputies to work some time in the jail prior to transfering out to patrol. Aside from running the jail and the civil issues SO deputies deal with, there's not much of a difference between the legal status of a corrections officer and PO.
    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in the moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." -- Martin Luther King
    "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me."

were did you get that info from.