Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

orange county sheriff (Ca)

anyone applying for this department..?

OCSD is one of the best, but be prepared to do a lot of custody time before hitting the blackball. Very balls to the wall and professional with a very very tough academy. You'll be training with a bunch of OC PD recruits too ranging from Irvine to Newport to Huntington (I am pretty sure). Good luck in your endevours.
    We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R Murrow

right of center, geographically of course
    Probably the toughest and most respected SO/PD in the LA/OC area. I had completed to reserve hiring process, and was transferred with my primary job, so I couldn't continue. That alone was a very difficult process. From what they said, a fair amount of people who are reserves there first, don't even get picked up later......for a variety of issues. Simply put, be ready, both physically and mentally.
    JOB 27:5

Ocsd

When I was working in the Orange County Area (6 years ago), I dealt with many deputies. They are trying to fix their management problems. Many higher-ups have been accused of many things. Pretty good agency. Be ready to do many years in the jail system. They have tons of overtime. Recently, I've booked a couple of people at Orange County Jail. The deputies that were there six years ago are still there. One guy mentioned that he's been there for 8 1/2 years. He was unsure when he was going to hit the road. By the time he gets out there, he'll probably have ten years. Personally, I wouldn't want to be considered a rookie on the road with 10 years on the job. Hey, different strokes for different folks. Good Luck.

10 years.... dude. their website says that the PAT is on the same day as the testing.. is that still valid?

Just some FYI.

Several Orange County cities send their recruits to Rio Hondo Police Academy such as Irvine, La Habra, and UC Irvine, CSU Fullerton...

OC Sheriff's is regarded as one of the toughest academies in Southern California. From what I have heard through the scuttlebutt, OC Sheriff, Rio Hondo (Los Angeles), and San Diego Regional are the 3 toughest in all of San Diego, Los Angeles, OC, San Bern, and Riverside counties with OC Sheriff being the toughest.

If what the others say is true, and you don't want to work in the prisons for 5-10 years, why not apply to LA Sheriff where they are having a huge shortage and from what I hear, you get to get out of the prisons after 2-3 years? Any LA Deputies can confirm or deny this?

I made it all the way through the LASD deal and was offered an academy date twice, but declined because the job didn't fit me. Great department, excellent deputies and it's a great place to make career. Extensive opportunities ranging from homicide, autotheft, narcotics, to federal task forces such as JTTF or working with ICE/CBP at the port of LA. It was the only local gig I applied to because their rep is fantastic and you can really make the job your own.

The official time in the jail is 2-3 years but it's more like 4-6 depending on who you talk to, and what they wanted to ultimately do in the SD. If you apply to LASD, make sure you get a tour of MCJ. It really is a kick in the nuts reminder of what you will be dealing with.

Good luck.
    We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R Murrow

OCSD- tough academy
    OCSD- great deal of custody time in JAILS (versus prisons!!!) as much as 6-10 years
    OCSD- great pay
    OCSD- great opportunity
    OCSD- did I mention you will be in custody for a long time.

I have good buddies with OCSD and they love it....even the ones stuck in custody.

pm- me if you need more info.

S2S

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Danger
    If what the others say is true, and you don't want to work in the prisons for 5-10 years, why not apply to LA Sheriff where they are having a huge shortage and from what I hear, you get to get out of the prisons after 2-3 years? Any LA Deputies can confirm or deny this?
    I left LASD about a year ago for a federal job. I would say that now is probably a great time to go there. A lot of people left during a low point where there was no contract, and all other agencies seemed to be getting better pay and benefits. Recently, everyone got a decent raise. If you drive around LA, you will see a lot of billboards for recruiting. I even saw a commercial the other day. Custody time will depend on your station list. I got out to patrol after 2 1/2 years.

OCSD definitely has a tougher academy. Which is sort of mixed up, considering Stanton is probably their toughest station. I would argue that Compton, Century, Lennox, Carson, Lakewood (possibly others) are all busier and have more violent crimes. LA also has some nice areas too, like Malibu, Avalon, Lomita (RPV, Rolling Hills Estates).

I wish I could give more specifics. Be sure to tour MCJ, like someone said earlier. Custody is a strange environment. I got pneumonia working there in addition to a couple bouts of County Crud. One thing I liked about it is that you get to meet and work with a lot of Deputies who you will bump into throughout your career.

During my federal investigations involving LASD, I bump into people I know all the time.

Please elaborate on "County Crud". LOL.

right of center, geographically of course
    OC crud

Its the same as the FLETC crud. Hangin out in a not so sterile enviornment for to long, you are bound to get sick.
    JOB 27:5

thanks for the info guys..

I left LASO because you will do a ton of time in the jails there too, and the pay is nooooo good (even with the new contract). If you live in the OC, try looking at the big 3 (Irvine, Huntington Beach, and Newport Beach). They all pay excellent and are great departments. Or you can go to the hardcore areas of OC (Santa Ana and Anaheim). I live in the OC and out of all of them, I think the HBPD is probably the best (just hard on rookies).

re: LASD

We have deputies from my facility going to patrol after less than one year in custody. They all had some of the northern stations like Palmdale, but it happens. Movement is occuring and times in custody are bound to become shorter and shorter. I've been on for four years and would be out on patrol now except my wife is pregnant and we are expecting our first child in September. I want to be able to be around to help and I can take time off for FMLA that I wouldn't be able to do as a boot trainee in patrol.

Oh yea...Overtime is through the roof right now...I made over 100K last year and didn't even max out once...

There may be places that pay a bit better but in the long run, and looking at benefits, retirement, mobility (up and sideways), variety, and patrolling the most bad-blankety-blank blank areas in the US, you can't beat the LASD.

Other departments may fit the individual better, but the LASD isn't a bad option.

P.S.--The OCSD academy is indeed much harder, from what I've heard, than the LASD academy. Your real training (with either) will come in the jails and on the streets.

so what kind of personal characteristics would it take to handle a job like this? does age matter? im 32. hope it not too over the hill..