Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

NOT throwing in the towel...

I found out this week that even though LE agencies across the country are needing recruits, and I have a college degree, a spotless criminal and personal history, and security and LE-support experience, it can still be a hard thing to get a sworn LE job. So far I've been rejected by almost every Federal agency I have applied with (based mainly on experience, its hard to compete at 22 in the Fed system w/ no military or sworn background); I resigned from one agency I was actually hired by, a decision based on nothing more than me basically being scared of the police academy (even I know thats stupid)...a decision that I regret, was the wrong one, and still haunts me. And this week, I dropped out of the MPDC cycle after being told I'd be DQ'd on my eyesight by the Medical Section (long story, but I have 20/200 and was told there was a waiver of the 20/100 requirement if I wear contacts, guess I was wrong...no way I'd be able to read the 20/100 line without my contacts or glasses).

Despite all this, I am not throwing in the towel on LE. I am too young, and LE is too much of a calling. Already I have started applying to other agencies. I am even looking at getting back to the agency that actually hired me. Guess this is more optimistic than most "Stress Forum" threads ought to be, but if anything, I hope someone who has been denied by an agency for whatever reason will not throw in the towel from what honestly is one of the best professions on earth.
    Optimist Drowns in Half-full Tub

Check into LASIK bro. You should have asked MPDC about it. They might have given you a waiver or put you on hold until the procedure was cleared up.

Don't know your financial situation but it's an awesome option and I would not be in an LE academy right now without it.

I would have taken a loan out just to get if I needed to but that being said at 22yo you have an enternity left to get hired unlike me at 36
    Finally done

Sorry about the bad break, Coleman.

Keep plugging away. The only thing for certain is if you don't apply, you won't get hired.

Take rejection on the chin and apply elsewhere. It sucks, I know personally, but it's the only way.

Good luck and keep your positive attitude.

You have the attitude though, don't give up. IF I were you, I would keep with the process no matter if it looks like you won't get the job, each time you will learn something new. You will get experience in the oral boards, psych, poly, just to build your confidence stay in the process if you can afford it. As for your eyesight, I don't know what to say, Each department has different standards and policies. Lasik might be an option, or there might even be waivers. At 22, you have time on your side. Just keep applying and one will come your way. Good luck and keep trying buddy.

Keep trying and you might get a 2nd chance sooner than you think. I work w/ someone who wanted to change jobs, applied for and was called for an investigative position but didnt go to the interview. About 1 mth later, a neighboring agency had an opening for a similar position and he applied.

Good luck
    "A wise man knows everything, a shrewd man knows everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by papperclippy
    You have the attitude though, don't give up. IF I were you, I would keep with the process no matter if it looks like you won't get the job, each time you will learn something new. You will get experience in the oral boards, psych, poly, just to build your confidence stay in the process if you can afford it. As for your eyesight, I don't know what to say, Each department has different standards and policies. Lasik might be an option, or there might even be waivers. At 22, you have time on your side. Just keep applying and one will come your way. Good luck and keep trying buddy.
    Great advice! I have been through several processes with several departments and I have learned something new every time. Let the knowledge build and you'll end up being one of the strongest candidates available.