Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

What's the best way to shine a badge?

Hello all,

I just got sworn in today and received my badge. What is the best way to shine it? It's silver with blue writing. I'd imagine brasso might be best but I don't want to use brasso and have it erase the blue ink from it. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Badges are made of lot's of different materials, so it is impossible to say. However abrasives like Brasso are generally a bad, bad idea. Start off with a a dry soft cloth.
    "Gentlemen, get the thing straight once and for all– the policeman isn't there to create disorder, the policeman is there to preserve disorder." ~ Richard J. Daley

icon22.gif

Best thing to do is to talk with other officers and see what they use. Generally the "blue paint" is actually enamel that is baked onto the badge and won't easily be removed.

I've seen people use everything from Brasso, Flitz, soap and water, toothpaste, etc, etc, to polish their badges. You have to be careful though. Some badges have a clear coating on them that shouldn't be cleaned with anything other than soap and water. If you use Flitz or Brasso, you'll strip this protective coating away and you'll have to polish it constantly as it will begin to tarnish daily.

Kahuna
    Humuhumunukunukuapua'a

I don't recommend shining it with anything. Best bet is to periodically hand wash the badge with soap and water. All of my badges have been Blackinton and this is what they recommend. The badge can be replated if it gets heavily scratched or otherwise loses its finish.

you could always try and figure out who made the badge, and then see what the manufacturers rec for cleaning it is .... my .02
    Greetings. This is not God, This is his close friend Officer Boscorelli. Please pull over - Bosco

I recommend soap and water. I have seen people shine their badges and ruin them soap and water is recommended I believe by most badge makers.
    Darth Vader: I have you now!

I have always used a toothbrush with a little toothpaste and it's done wonders.
    Give assistance not advice in a crisis. - Aesop
    (c.620-560 BC)

Peanut butter

wow i just tried the toothpaste!

tarter fighting and shield cleaning!!!

LOOKS AWSOME AND NEW!