Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

"Gunsmith only" gun parts

I called Marlin needing a replacement part and they informed me that they can only sell this particular part to gunsmiths. It sounds like I would not need to do a background check, just ask a gunsmith to buy the part for me.

So the question is, can a gunsmith buy the part, and then mail it to me? Would that be OK?

Wristshot

Somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Quote Originally Posted by Wristshot View Post
    I called Marlin needing a replacement part and they informed me that they can only sell this particular part to gunsmiths. It sounds like I would not need to do a background check, just ask a gunsmith to buy the part for me.

So the question is, can a gunsmith buy the part, and then mail it to me? Would that be OK?

Wristshot
    I am betting that the part needs to be fitted and therefore there is a liability issue with selling the part directly to a consumer. No matter how skilled the consumer may believe they are in installing the part. But then again, I don't what part you want or need.

But that is my guess.
    That is the law. . . according to the rules.

This doesn't seem to be an issue of what "the part" is by what you are saying. For example a receiver is a part but is also a firearm under the law all by itself and isn't going to be shipped to you.

If this is in line with Time Traveler's post, which it probably is, easiest avenue for you is to either use online Yellow pages or the old fashioned kind and find a gunsmith near you. Give them a call about the part and you may find that they have it in stock or you can order it through them and pick it up there. They may have a case as to why you might want to have them do the work, but we can't guess what the part is and that is your call.
    ret.

bolt

The part is a bolt. Pretty easy to swap it out, and I believe it will solve feeding problems on this lever .22LR.

Interesting that it might be an issue of liability where they don't want an untrained person installing it. I first assumed it was against the law.

I know I can get one some way or the other, it would just be more convenient through the mail. There's one on e-bay, but I first should understand the legality.

Thanks all. I posted to coffee break initially because I'm not a LEO and this is not a LEO firearm as far as I know.

Wristshot

Somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Quote Originally Posted by Wristshot View Post
    The part is a bolt. Pretty easy to swap it out, and I believe it will solve feeding problems on this lever .22LR.

Interesting that it might be an issue of liability where they don't want an untrained person installing it. I first assumed it was against the law.

I know I can get one some way or the other, it would just be more convenient through the mail. There's one on e-bay, but I first should understand the legality.

Thanks all. I posted to coffee break initially because I'm not a LEO and this is not a LEO firearm as far as I know.

Wristshot
    Generally, bolts need to be fitted. Just because it fits, doesn't mean that it fits. Try a local gunsmith. If they have the part they will undoubtedly tell you that they need to install it. Some parts that go into the action of a weapon need an FFL.
    Last edited by Time Traveller; 10-04-2006 at 17:52.
    That is the law. . . according to the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Traveller View Post
    Generally, bolts need to be fitted. Just because it fits, doesn't mean that it fits. Try a local gunsmith. If they have the part they will undoubtedly tell you that they need to install it. Some parts that go into the action of a weapon need an FFL.
    As usual TT, right on the money. A bolt may in fact fit, but if the headspacing is off, which you can't tell without a headspacing too, then you can expect a Kaboom instead of Bang. To the best of my knowledge a bolt for a Marlin or any firearm that I can think of isn't a regulated item that needs to be transferred through an FFL. I'm sure it's a liability issue on marlin's part. If you were to look at the website dedicated to the ar15 rifle (pretty easy to figure out the address) then you can find a thread on ar's that went kaboom and see what it looks like. The biggest cause of an AR going kaboom is when the bolt fails to completely return to battery, often because of an improperly inserted bolt cam pin. This causes the headspacing to be too excessive and the pressure of the round being fired finds the path of least resistance, which is through the receiver isntead of the much stronger bolt that isn't completely in battery. This causes a whole lot of excitement. Also a Marlin .22 isn't really designed to be fooled around with too much by a non gunsmith, like most AR's. Just check with a local smith and get the part installed through him, it shouldn't set you back too much and you'll have a known safe firearm.
    "Chance favors the prepared mind"

"I took the road less traveled by and that has made all the difference"

Quote Originally Posted by Time Traveller View Post
    I am betting that the part needs to be fitted and therefore there is a liability issue with selling the part directly to a consumer. No matter how skilled the consumer may believe they are in installing the part. But then again, I don't what part you want or need.

But that is my guess.
    When I last did work on my S&W revolvers, magnum parts could only be bought by gunsmiths, or by exchange.

Reason was that folks were talking magnum parts and putting them in frames which were not designed for the pressures, like some of the K-frames.

Back then, I turned my 4" Model 13 into a 3", but had to exchange the 4" barrel to do it.

The Answer is There is No Answer