Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Court Officer

Court Officer

Does anyone have any info on Court Officer positions in NY (part-time as well)? Job satisfaction? Different Units (if at all)? Off-duty carry and arrest powers? Thanks for any info. PM if thats more convenient.

icon31.gif I have nothing specific

However, in general it is very highly thought of and the test always generates a fairly large list. They do have off-duty carry ( I believe personally-owned) and NYS Peace Officer status. Mostly this is considered a good gig and it is not uncommon to find LEOs from other agencies jumping over. I know this isn't exactly what you were looking for but I hoped it helped.
    "There is no second place winner"-- Bill Jordan

Believe me, anythign helps, so thanks you! I am in the process with various fed. agencies, and taking local and state tests in the coming months, but it seems like a pretty good job, and somthing to do if the fed, and/or PD doesn't work out. Not that I think any less of it, just didn't know much about the job (even though I was in court alot as a law school graduate).

I took the written test over a year ago, got the results only last summer...and I've heard nothing else. I get the impression that it's sort of a sought-after position and that there aren't a lot of openings, at least not upstate. From what I've heard, most of the positions are in or around NYC.

I talked to a few NY Court Officers last year to get to scoop on the job for a friend that was taking the Oct 05 test. The guys I talked to pretty much all told me the same thing.

1. You make whatever your salary is and overtime is almost nonexistent

2. It's nice to be off on weekends unlike most other LE jobs.

3. It is mostly very boring and there is alot of standing around

4. You feet hurt because of #3

5. You have to live on what they pay you and the COL is high in Nassau,Suffolk and NYC. When unexpected bills arise
    you are screwed because there is no overtime to work to get extra cash.

6. No one ever gets shot at work which can't be said for a more Police oriented job.

The Starting Salary was $33000 when I talked with these guys which is a lot nicer on the surface then the 25g NYPD is starting people at. NYPD and other LEO jobs will give you that overtime cash which you wont get in the Court job which may be the deciding factor for a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by NYLSC View Post
    6. No one ever gets shot at work which can't be said for a more Police oriented job.
    Any court officer or other LEO who has that mentality needs a new career.

I agree. Although, I don't think he meant that not having shootings was a bad thing. It may be a reason why someone would choose the job. Regardless, I agree, that should not be a determining factor. LE is LE, and each agency has its own dangers (be it shootings, stabbings, needle sticks or fist fights).

Nor is it true. Google Brian Nichols or search Atlanta courhouse shooting here.
    ret.

I took the test last December and just recently got the letter to start the background process for NYC. However, since I no longer live down there and don't plan to return for at least a few years, I had to turn it down. I'm waiting for the 3rd JD now (Albany and a few surrounding counties), but was told by the personnel office that it may be a while. Since they only need a few dozen people in the area, they are sending letters out to fewer people at a time.

As far as the job itself goes, my uncle is a retired captain. He loved every minute of the job. As JimSpoor wrote they have off-duty carry of a personally owned weapon, however since they have to buy their own service weapon, that is their personally owned weapon. They also have 24/7 arrest authority throughout NYS, not only on court property as some of my NYPD friends seem to think. The only gripes that I hear are that the retirement isn't so great.

Forgot to mention, some districts have MSP units (mobile security patrol). They patrol the neighborhood surrounding their assigned courthouse in an RMP and are authorized to conduct traffic stops/issue VTL summonses. Some courthouses in the NYC area also have SRT (or will have it in the future).
    Last edited by Fuerza; 11-09-2006 at 18:56.

Thanks for the info. Its a great help so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Fuerza View Post
    They also have 24/7 arrest authority throughout NYS, not only on court property as some of my NYPD friends seem to think.
    Slightly off-topic, but why is this such a big deal? I can understand the "24 hour carry" questions, but statewide or even nationwide arrest powers off-duty is over rated. I have nationwide "off duty" arrest authority, but don't see it as a big deal. If I see something go down when i'm off-duty there is a 99.9% chance my only action will involve being a good witness and calling 911.

Getting involved and taking LE action off-duty can bring more trouble than you could ever imagine. Unless you have all of your on-duty tools available, I personally would not get involved in a LE action off-duty unless it involves me/my family or another law enforcement officer. Any other situation invovles too many "What if's" (i.e, Is the guy armed, Is there a second/third/fourth suspect you don't know about, Could I be mistaken for a bad guy, etc.).

I carry professional liability insurance, am a member of FLEOA and FOP, but don't care to needlessly increase my chances of being sued, especially when i'm off-duty.

I can understand if someone is trying to rob you, there is no choice of being involved. And if I see an on-duty officer getting assaulted, of course i'll get involved. But otherwise, i'll call 911...
    Last edited by modareguy; 11-10-2006 at 22:22.

Forget world peace, try using a turn signal...

Quote Originally Posted by modareguy View Post
    Slightly off-topic, but why is this such a big deal? I can understand the "24 hour carry" questions, but statewide or even nationwide arrest powers off-duty is over rated. I have nationwide "off duty" arrest authority, but don't see it as a big deal. If I see something go down when i'm off-duty there is a 99.9% chance my only action will involve being a good witness and calling 911.

Getting involved and taking LE action off-duty can bring more trouble than you could ever imagine. Unless you have all of your on-duty tools available, I personally would not get involved in a LE action off-duty unless it involves me/my family or another law enforcement officer. Any other situation invovles too many "What if's" (i.e, Is the guy armed, Is there a second/third/fourth suspect you don't know about, Could I be mistaken for a bad guy, etc.).

I carry professional liability insurance, am a member of FLEOA and FOP, but don't care to needlessly increase my chances of being sued, especially when i'm off-duty.

I can understand if someone is trying to rob you, there is no choice of being involved. And if I see an on-duty officer getting assaulted, of course i'll get involved. But otherwise, i'll call 911...

I personally don't see it as a big deal either, but it comes up a lot. Most of my friends from home are NYPD, and there is a definite attitude that unless one has 24/7 arrest, he/she is not a "real cop". That's why people (from my area at least) tend to be so hung up on it. Again, I personally don't care. I think off-duty carry is a much bigger issue for purposes of protection.

I personally would want the 24/7 carry (I have it now for security company purposes) through my agency. But in all honesty, I would not want the headaches 24/7 arrest (through an agency) could create. After all, if it needs to come down to it, all citizens have the power to aarest, or they could call officers on duty.

So to re-focus a bit, does anyone else have any more info. on job satisfaction and/or what opportunities there are (i.e. units, squads, etc.) Thanks for everyones help so far.

The reality of the job is very simple. Unless you are one of the very few percent who make it into a specialized unit, you will be perforiming security type work either at the court house entrance or in a court room. Don't think about the job unless you are ready to stand at a court house entrance and search visitors seeking entry for hours each day -- stand in a court room for hours each day reading the dockets and directing people and perps in the courtroom -- sitting at the courthouse information booth, answering visitors questions -- walking outside of the courthouse enforcing parking regulations so that no one takes the judges and other court staff parking spaces -- etc...

Special assignments and promotional slots include working in a marked court "police" vehicle, patrolling courthouses -- working in the higher courts (same duty as in the lower courts, but considered promotional slots - smaller workload) -- Etc..