Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

kingdomer Guest

Pushups and Shoulder Problems

I have been hitting the PEACE plan for the last 2.5 months, following strict protocol, and noted some gains. However, I am experiencing much pain in both shoulders to the point where my max is no more than 35-40. At this point, I feel I am regressing.

I am scheduled to go the doctor, but I am curious whether any of you have experienced intense pain in the shoulders while training and what you did to fight through it?

It could be you have over trained/strained something and it may just require some time off to heal properly. It is good you're going to see a doc. If it is a muscle strain a few days or a week or so off will hopefully help...if you strained a ligament or tendon it may take more time....

As for your question, I simply tried different hand positions and rotations. Try slightly narrower or wider hand positions or rotate your your hand position or the angle at which you keep your elbows to your body. I'm not sure anyone will have a mircle answer but hopefully the doc might help determine if your "sore or injured."

Good luck. All the best.
    "Have you seen that bumper sticker that says, "No More Hiroshimas"? I wish I had one that says, "You First. No more Pearl Harbors." --Gen. Richard E. Hawley (USAF-Ret)
    “The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.” --Thomas Jefferson
    "There is still a bottom 10% of the top 1%."

Exactly where in the shoulder is the pain? Sore muscles or tendons or is it inside the joint? Is there a certain position where the pain is greatest?
    Do you stretch before and after a workout?

Two things to do. Take ibuprofen and ice the shoulder. And rest. So that's three.

Quote Originally Posted by kingdomer View Post
    I have been hitting the PEACE plan for the last 2.5 months, following strict protocol, and noted some gains. However, I am experiencing much pain in both shoulders to the point where my max is no more than 35-40. At this point, I feel I am regressing.

I am scheduled to go the doctor, but I am curious whether any of you have experienced intense pain in the shoulders while training and what you did to fight through it?
    I like the PEACE plan, but it is pretty agressive and would be considered overtraining by many.

Try going to only doing the same muscle group twice a week, with two full days rest. So instead of doing the plan M-W-F, do it M-Th instead.

I would take a week off right now at least, and see how your shoulder feels. If its still sore, you may have an injury that requires a professional look.
    I conclude that no circumstances exist that would permit Congress, in contravention of the Constitution's Bill of Attainder Clause, to prohibit non-registered males age twenty-six and older from federal employment for their lifetime without judicial decision making - U.S. District Judge Douglas P. Woodlock; Jan 26, 2009

I had the same problem while doing (or rather attempting to do) wide push-ups. My pain came from muscle/ligament strain. I immediately gathered a consortium of PT’s I work with and they all agreed on the treatment plan: I had to take 2 weeks off from push-ups and Aleve to alleviate the pain and decrease the inflammation. I, personally, prefer Aleve to Motrin. You can look up info on both of them and decide for yourself which one to take. In addition, I used ThermaCare patches. Don’t underestimate the seriousness of your injury, take care of it now. Good luck.

kingdomer Guest
    Thanks for all of your replies thus far.

The pain is within the joint of both shoulders. I stopped doing the dips in the PEACE plan 2 weeks ago hoping that would solve the problem.

I have been hitting it pretty hard, usually 3 days on, one day off, sometimes 4 in a row, 2 days off on the pushups only. However, when I started out, I did the plan consistently 4 days in a row for at least the first month.

I can somewhat block out the pain while performing the sets, other than the intense burning in my shoulders when near fatigue. I feel the pain mostly when doing the protocol pushups. My main issue is the pain a couple of hours after the workout which compromises my sleep. I do stretch before and after my workout.

I had lifted weights for years prior to this type of training and have never had these annoying injuries until now. Very frustrating.

I am hearing from you all what I gathered that I need to rest more- I just didn't want to slack off. I will ramp up the running on the off days so I don't feel like a slug.

KnikAK Guest

Be careful

I had a more serious injury to my shoulder than I initially realized. I thought it was just joint stiffness and continued working through the pain, which eventually ended up being quite intense. After several weeks of this, I finally saw a physician who ordered an MRI, hydrocodone for the pain (couldn't even sleep through the night), and six to eight weeks of rest. I was eventually diagnosed with tendonitis and bursitis in my right shoulder. Yesterday, I did two sets up pushups for the first time in seven weeks. I felt no pain, but I had definitely fallen behind. I could only do seven. On my PFT was able to do 18. I guess I'll have to work back up slowly.

Strider124 Guest
    You need to be real careful with joint problems. Soreness within the muscles is to be expected, but sharp pain in the connective tissues (tendons, ligaments, rotator cuffs, etc.) is not to be trifled with. These can lead to serious downtime and potentially surgery if you keep pushing through the pain and worsening things. See a doctor, but be prepared for him to just prescribe rest, ice and NSAIDs (ibuprofen, etc.) to keep the inflamation down. If you continue working out back off on the intensity (reduce reps and sets and frequency of workouts) and see if you notice improvement. Then gradually add back on. Unfortunately ligaments and tendons don't adapt to stresses at the same rate that muscles do.

Personaly my left shoulder's been dislocated 4 times, and sublocated 2. I was told NO pushups until the physical therapist said it was ok. MY .02 see a physical therapist, set a rehab program, and stick to it. Best way to go about it IMO My warm up is about 10 mins and involves using all the smaller muscles in my shoulder to get the bigger ones warmed up. This is a major part of my instability.....
    Greetings. This is not God, This is his close friend Officer Boscorelli. Please pull over - Bosco

kingdomer Guest
    Thanks again for all of your suggestions.

Saw the doc and he prescribed PT, which I will begin on 11/27- hopefully I will be ready for the PFT by the end of the year or beginning of January.

I thought I had dislocated both shoulders over the years in judo training. It was not until I entered the military that the docs asked when I BROKE my shoulders! (Hell, I thought it hurt!)

Calcium buildup on the joints after the breaks caused me no problems, EXCEPT for pushups. The greater the reps and effort, the more the pain. Had the same issues with military presses while training.

Docs said reduce stress to those areas except when required. So you've got to train but understand that stress to those joints are going to cause you pain.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
    Hunter S. Thompson