Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Arapahoe County Sheriff's Department (Colorado)

Are any of you familiar with the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Department? I see that they are currently hiring. Are they a good department to work for, what is their duty weapon, are they technologically advanced (MDC's, etc), etc?

Any information on this agency would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Good dept, plenty of opportunities. I have to drop off my prisoners there every so often when our transport service is not running. The deputys I talk to seem to be quite happy with their jobs. It also depends if you'll be willing to work in the jail for a few years. You'll start off in the jail but can transer to patrol in 3-5 years (the guys I talked with say that it is closer to 5 than 3). The last time I checked, they take both POST cert and non-POST cert applicants. They send their non-POST cert applicants to the CSTI. Not too sure about tech besides they have the livescan in their jails and mdts in their squads. They have crown vics, impalas, and a few caprices left in service. I heard they are going to get rid of the impalas and go back to the crown vics.
    Arapahoe County is located within the metro area so there are plenty of places you can chose to live. Pay is also competitive with the metro area.

That's funny that you mention having to work in the jail. I would have thought that as well, but their job announcement does not state this at all. If you are not CO POST certified they state that "The second way is to join the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office as a Deputy Sheriff Recruit, where the Sheriff's Office provides recruits with the outstanding law enforcement training and POST certification. This is an excellent way to start your law enforcement career. Because this training is very expensive, recruits must sign a two-year agreement with the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office, in return for the Sheriff's Office providing the law enforcement training to the recruits."

It doesn't look like you have to use the jail as a stepping-stone...

Chip you can call them to confirm this information but like CopDog said you have to start out in the jail. All of the big counties in the Denver Metro area require deputies to start in the jail. If they put people straight on the road, they wouldn't be having the recruitment problems they are having. People that are POST certified already, are applying for PD's since there is no jail duty associated with working for a police department and use the sheriff's departments as a last resort. I would echo what CopDog said however about the department. They are a very good agency. They are accredited by CALEA for their law enforcement function and the American Corrections Association for their jail function which is pretty prestigious. Sheriff Sullivan is also nationally recognized as one of the leading sheriff's in the country although I'm not sure how much time he has left in office since he's been there a long time. If you can take working in the jail for a couple of years it might be a really good opportunity for you.

Z