Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

sfb Guest

a question for federal co's

Do federal co's work roatating shifts and rotating days off or are they assigned good days? Iam presently a co in ohio and have been for 4 years and was wondering if the federal system would be a better system to work in? I recently applied to elkton and have not heard anything from them about how long does it take to get a interview? Any help with these questions would be appreciated.

I have a friend of the family who is a retired Fed CO. He started his career out with Ohio DOC at London prison. He then applied for Fed level corrections in IN. at Terre Haute, where McVeigh was given what was coming to him. He worked rotating shifts until he had enough seniority to choose his shift. I am not sure how long this took. I will ask him and find out. Keep in mind that it may vary from one instituition to another.

HACK208 Guest
    I've been with the BOP for 12 years, and i've worked two joints. Being a Fed CO isn't the shit job some people on this site say it is. Officers during the first year are given monthly assignments, and after the first year you bid every three months for a post with the days off you like by seniority. Some joints have posts where you work four ten hour days, and most joints still have the old five eight hour days. As for the length of time the process takes depends on the amount of people needed when and where you apply. I would be very careful where you apply, since some joints have some real problems, and others are GREAT places to work. If you are willing to move around the country the room for advancement is unlimited, I'm not willing to move my kids in and out of new schools every 18 to 24 months, so I stay here.

blueclaw Guest

waiting time?

I just have a quick question. Last week I went through the panel interview for a CO position with FDC Phily. What do you think is the average time that it would take for them to get back to me? Last I spoke to them the said that they were going over my references. Is this going to be a long process?

HACK208 Guest
    My guess would be mid November at the latest.

TTRAIN222 Guest

question

Hey HACK208,

Mind if I ask you a question? I didn't think so (heh, heh).

I heard that they can move you around the country if they want to. It seems that you said you have the choice to stay where you are and it is possible to apply to only a certain area(s). Is that the case? I was thinking about applying, but I don't want to move across the country every three years.

Thanks,
    Steve

HACK208 Guest
    No they can not move you at will, but once you become a manager they will push you to move every 18 to 24 months. I won't put my family through moving, so I stay as a line staff member. When you apply you will fill out what we call a dream sheet, and that will list the Prisons you are willing to work at.

DO Fed CO's have badges?? A friend of mine is a BOP CO in SC and said he has a badge that looks like the US MArshals badge only it says Co on it . Is he hanking my chain or what??

HACK208 Guest
    Only when you are issued a firearm for duty, and is then turned back in with the firearm.

Kinda makes sense, althought I reaaly feel they should have a badge just like any other CO.

ALSO what does the Fed CO badge LOOK like????

HACK208 Guest
    No real need for them. As far as what the badge looks like I don't know it is just a badge. I'm not big on badges and uniforms.