Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Sacramento County Sheriff

I did a search on Sac SO but didn't see anything relevant in the last year.

I'm curious about how it goes for officers/deputies who lateral there. Is there still a jail commitment for laterals? If there is, does anyone know what the average jail time is for new laterals? How high up the pay scale can you start?

Anyone with some info, especially from Sac deputies who lateraled there, would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

A Few Answers

I hate to answer my own question, but I heard from a recruiter and thought I’d post what I found out. If nothing else, the next poor guy who runs a search on SAC SO can actually find some info. (I'd still love to hear from some actual deputies out there!)

Laterals are assigned to one of the correctional facilities or the courthouse upon swearing in. The length of time to get to patrol varies from year-to-year, but currently it is about 3 to 4 years. In the jail the deputies work 3/12’s and at least they give every shift a part of the weekend off.

During correctional/court time, they run you through patrol FTO for 4-5 months then you go back inside. But you’ll then be eligible to work patrol overtime and off-duty jobs.

If you have at least five years of experience you’ll be started at the top of their pay scale (good!), but the up to 20% pay incentives for education and POST certificates doesn’t kick in until after the first year (bad!).

If you don’t care about any of this, I understand. If you take the time to read it, however, you should look at sacsheriff.com and view their recruiting video. I guess they’re showing it in local theaters as a movie trailer. Anyone with two minutes in the business knows it’s way more Hollywood than reality, but in this day and age of departments shoving community policing down everyone’s throat, it’s nice to see a department who shows that they’re not afraid to take care of business.