Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

sleoII404 Guest

You can't save everyone

I was at dinner tonight and sitting at another table was a young man who looked familiar but I could not place where I knew him from. My waitress (who I know well) came over to me and said this young man's friend had passed away from being the driver in a fatal car crash. Not soon after I was told this story the young man, and the older man he was sitting with, said "Officer." I looked over and now I realized I knew the young man from a call I was on about a month ago.

In that call the young man was driving too fast in a private community and crashed his car in someone's front lawn. Although I did not arrest the young man because nobody had witnessed his driving behavior and he crashed on private property with no damage I called his father and explained the situation.

The young man and the older man came over to my table and the older man explained it was his son who had died in the car crash. The young man explained I had met the son while I was at the private property collision. I immediately remember the son as being very non chalant that his friend had driven too fast and crashed a car on someone's lawn.

I started to get upset. I felt like I had the chance to show these young men that there were consequences to driving cars too fast when I was called to that scene, and because nobody went to jail or was issued a citation perhaps they felt empowered to continue driving like maniacs.

Later in the conversation the young man told me that after I had called his father he got in a lot of trouble and stopped driving fast. The young man told me I saved his life that morning. This made me feel really good, but at the same time I felt like I could have done more to change his friend's life so he would be alive today.

In the end I realized that I can't save everyone. All I can is hope that I can impact someone's life for the better, but ultimately it is their choice to learn from the situation.

This is not the first situation like this I have been in and I know sadly it will not be the last.

Stay safe everyone.

icon31.gif I have nothing to add.

Your words of wisdom should give many others pause and will hopefully bring a measure of solace to those in similar situations. Thank You for sharing your perceptions.
    "There is no second place winner"-- Bill Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by sleoII404 View Post
    I was at dinner tonight and sitting at another table was a young man who looked familiar but I could not place where I knew him from. My waitress (who I know well) came over to me and said this young man's friend had passed away from being the driver in a fatal car crash. Not soon after I was told this story the young man, and the older man he was sitting with, said "Officer." I looked over and now I realized I knew the young man from a call I was on about a month ago.

In that call the young man was driving too fast in a private community and crashed his car in someone's front lawn. Although I did not arrest the young man because nobody had witnessed his driving behavior and he crashed on private property with no damage I called his father and explained the situation.

The young man and the older man came over to my table and the older man explained it was his son who had died in the car crash. The young man explained I had met the son while I was at the private property collision. I immediately remember the son as being very non chalant that his friend had driven too fast and crashed a car on someone's lawn.

I started to get upset. I felt like I had the chance to show these young men that there were consequences to driving cars too fast when I was called to that scene, and because nobody went to jail or was issued a citation perhaps they felt empowered to continue driving like maniacs.

Later in the conversation the young man told me that after I had called his father he got in a lot of trouble and stopped driving fast. The young man told me I saved his life that morning. This made me feel really good, but at the same time I felt like I could have done more to change his friend's life so he would be alive today.

In the end I realized that I can't save everyone. All I can is hope that I can impact someone's life for the better, but ultimately it is their choice to learn from the situation.

This is not the first situation like this I have been in and I know sadly it will not be the last.

Stay safe everyone.
    Thank you for sharing this. That is amazing that you were able to change someone's life and that it was revealed to you.
    "From whence comes the purpose of a person's life?.....Come it by chance, a casting of the lot, or does a call of destiny beckon to each of us?"
    Mordecai

sleoII404 Guest
    JimSpoor and Kristen,
    Thanks for your replies. It was cathartic to tell my story on this board and I do hope it helps others. Sometimes we in LE hold things like this in and this forum felt like the perfect place to "let it out" so to speak. Thanks again.
    -Sleo