Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Final Hire Interview (Chiefs Interview)

Ok, this may sound like a crystal ball question, but what I am looking for is some of your experiences or opinions.... If someone makes it to the Chiefs Interview (i.e. passed: exam, PAT, Physical, Poly and background), are they normally in an almost "set" spot for hire, unless they truly blunder during the meeting? I am just curious as I am in that position, and of course am taing the interview super serious, and approaching it like I am really fighting for this position (as I am!). That being said, I was just wondering if anyone has any insight into whether these ae normally formalities, or??? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peconic1811 View Post
    That being said, I was just wondering if anyone has any insight into whether these ae normally formalities, or??? Thanks
    Not from my experiences. Even you go through what you might think was a stellar chief's/board/final interview...whatever your particular agency calls it...it's still possible that they'll choose some other "more competitive candidate" for reasons unknown.

Anyway, stay cool and good luck.

icon22.gif

Along what Eagle has already posted. If you're going to a chief's interview for a position and you are 1 of 5 people going to the interview and there are 5 positions available, then yes I'd say you're in good shape and probably would have to do something outrageous to lose the position.

Now if you're 1 of 5 people going to an interview with 1 position opened, then you are up for some competition. I have seen folks go to a chief's interview and not make the cut for one of 2 positions (and they were 1 of 6 applicants). Another applicant beat them out, but the chief then offered them a reserve spot and said they'd be in line for consideration for future full-time spots.

I have also seen 5 people interview for 5 positions and one of them wasn't selected. For whatever reason the chief took a pass on them. This one was a guy who was trying to lateral from another agency. Passed everything (including background), but for some reason the chief said no thanks right now. No one ever found out why, but the guess was some "off the record" info was picked up from his current department (another chief, employee, etc) and it was enough to wash him. I have my own opinions on washing a guy/gal if they pass everything else, but that's just me...

Kahuna
    Humuhumunukunukuapua'a

Ok, this may sound like a crystal ball question, but what I am looking for is some of your experiences or opinions.... If someone makes it to the Chiefs Interview (i.e. passed: exam, PAT, Physical, Poly and background), are they normally in an almost "set" spot for hire, unless they truly blunder during the meeting? I am just curious as I am in that position, and of course am taing the interview super serious, and approaching it like I am really fighting for this position (as I am!). That being said, I was just wondering if anyone has any insight into whether these ae normally formalities, or??? Thanks
    NYS = 1 in 3 rule...If there is one opening, they interview three and can pick from any of them.

Had the interview, seemed to go well. But who knows, I am sure the demeanor of the officers is the same for everyone.

7mary4 Guest
    I am sure the demeanor of the officers is the same for everyone.
    Leaving the interview thinking you did well is a good sign (especially if the interviewers act this way also). Sometimes they put on a good face to be nice, but many times you can tell by the way they treat you as you leave, or what they say to you as to how you did.

But, depending on how many people they interviewed for X number of positions, doesn't mean you'll make the cut. Also, just because your not selected doesn't mean that your not qualified, it just means there were enough "more qualified" people in the pool with ya. Each time you make to an interview it's a different pool of people and sometimes your near the top, and sometimes your not.

Having a stellar interview can raise your stock quite a bit tho. Just remember that it's possible that the interview board (or Chief in your case) will send his recommendation along with your "packet" (poly results, entrance exam score, BI, PT score, etc) to a hiring board. The hiring board will then look at everyone that passed all the steps, judge their packets in whole, and then make selections from that. Thats the way it works in my department. I would bet the first time my chief sees who he has hired is the first day of the academy.

Hope I'm not depressing you but law enforcement in general has become more competitive since 9/11. Competition can be fierce at some departments and at others they seem to be soooo short that they are rushing people through the process and as soon as you pass all your steps your in the academy (at least thats the way it works at my department). When I got hired by my local PD I went through about 10 oral boards prior to that. Passed all but 2, and of the 8 I passed I was only the top candidate 1 time. And the one job offer I got was the same department that failed me on their oral review board 12 months prior.

I hope everything works out.