Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Positions for a Statistician?

I was wondering if there are any positions for a Statistics Ph.D. in the general law enforcement area. Maybe something in data analysis or fact finding? What agencies would be most likely to hire one?

The area that comes to mind is Crime Analysis. You might want to check out the website for the International Association of Crime Analysts which you can google.
    ret.

I know for a fact DEA has a Statistical Analysis Unit and hires statisticians. I tried a quick google search, but couldn't find much. ATF SAC is on the right track with his suggestion.

Alot of local agencies employ crime analyst in addition to the feds. My agency will hopefully be recruiting to fill this vacancy soon. Our previous "analyst" had a clerical background and somehow made her way into this position before retiring. I'm hoping the next person hired will have a background in statistics so they can truly analyze the mountain of data and provide info on crime patterns etc.

At the federal level, you might want to look at Program Analyst (or Management Analyst) positions in the 0343 job series. This series includes a lot of different duties depending on the agency and office, including some that are heavily involved in providing statistical support to law enforcement operations.

Look into FBI as an IA. You will get to use some of your stats background, but will be dealing with many other investigative aspects as well.

I have a similar background.

Good luck.