Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

TinyBarbie Guest

icon21.gif A brief description please!!

I am new here and have been reading the postings for a couple of days, I am Interested in getting into LE, I'm currently trying to get into adminastration, (That's one foot in the door :-) but I have often considered maybe getting into probation or maybe even parole.
    Could someone please brief me in on your job description? Maybe what a bad or busy day is like, what's it like dealing with, I'd assume you'd call them your clients?
    I'd just like to get an Idea if this is something I'd really like to pursue.
    I'd appreciate any Input.

MJ-1 Guest
    TinyBarbie,

A very brief description on being a probation officer is this:

You have a case load of probationers. We never call them clients. You will monitor these defendants for the courts. in doing this, you will see them in your office and also do home visits on them them to make sure they are in compliance with their court ordered sanctions. We go to court ALOT and testify about our defendants weather its good or bad. Some probation officers carry guns and some don't. In Texas it depends on your county and which unit your in (ie. Gang, felony, misdemeanor, etc..)

Over all its a good job with weekends and holidays off.

Hope this helps and if you have any more questions please ask.

TinyBarbie Guest

Thumbs up

Thanks Mj-1, at this point I'm exploring all my options and the Input I receive from this message board is very helpful.

PA PO Guest
    I believe the above reply is accurate. In our county we participate in more special details. What I mean by this is the job isn't all 9-5. One or two weekends a month our PO's will participate in late night weekend checks, bar details (making sure offenders are not using alcohol or visiting establishments that serve alcohol), and or participating with our counties DUI Task Force. Alot of overtime is given to our PO's, however due to budgetary concerns most of the extra time worked is paid in compensatory time. If you are looking to get into this field I would visit the department you are looking at applying with and exploring there attitudes in regards to proactive supervision. Probation and Parole should be and is moving out of the 70's theory of huggy bear kissy bear supervision. A PO's job is to supervise the offender and maintain adherence to the court order not coddle the offender. At least that's the way I run this ship and thats the type of PO that we hire.

CoBoY Guest
    Thanks for the description, guys...I'm leaning towards Prob/parole, and I have a couple questions.

1.) What degree would work best....regular CJ degree with P/P emphasis? and would an Assoc do anything, or do I need a Bach?

2.) Whats the job market like? Any hint what it will be like in the future?

Any help much appreciated...thanks!

MJ-1 Guest
    PA PO,

I agree with you about the getting away from the holding hand mentality. These people are adults and make their own decisions. We do get them set up on their programs and explain the way things are going to go, but I also explain that I am not here to hold their hand and babysit. I make it very clear that if their conditons aren't followed I won't hesitate to file violation reports and get sanctions imposed on them.

We to also do extra duties such as warrant round up's. Just this last week a couple of the officers in my court went on the round up with the local PD and Sheriff's department. As with you our overtime is copensated by the department giving us comp-time.