Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Sturdy dress belt

Now that I am getting ready to transition back into suits on a daily basis, does anyone have any recommendations on a dress belt that is sturdy enough for a sidearm? I used to have a black and a brown Chaps brand belts that I bought at the BX years ago...they worked great because they were sturdy enough for a sidearm, mags, asp and cuffs, but for some reason, they have seemed to shrink since I last used them

I have seen a few on various websites like Blackhawk and 5.11, but just wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations based off of personal experience. Thanks!

-OT

I have two brands: 5.11 and a Aker on I got at Sallys outside FLETC. My black 5.11 last about 8 months. I am on my third one. The leather or vinyl or whatever it is peels off the white plastic frame where my holster, badge and handcuffs rub on. Granted it takes 8 months but it does wear down. I use sharpie on the white for another few weeks but then it is toast. I am on my third one now in 2 years.

My Aker is a thinner belt (1" wide or so) which is a little thinner than my style, but that thing is amazing. It is 4 years old, worn on weekends and sometimes during the week and shows no wear that a little shoe polish and brush can't fix.

Just my two cents.

I've been wearing my Aker dress leather belt for five years with little evidence of wear and tear, and it's sturdy enough to easily hold up all my standard gear. Well worth the $44 (or so) price.

I use a belt from Strong and have had no complaints. The Strong belts are about $50 and can be hard to find. I have seen the 5.11 belts at some local stores and will probably try them next since they are easier to find.

I have had good luck from Wild Bills Concealment Holsters in North Carolina. A friend of mine swears by "The Beltman" also in NC.

You will pay a little more, around $80 from the Beltman, but it will double the life compared to the stuff you have been wearing.

As a bonus, you can order it to fit the size of the slots in the holster you are wearing (a requirement in my book).

If you can't locate them on the net, give me a pm.
    A society that makes war against its police had better learn to make friends with criminals. - unknown

I use a "double belt" from Filson, which is actually two widths of heavy leather sewn back-to-back. It's working on its fifth year and is still going strong.
    "I don't share your greed...the only card I need...is the Ace of Spades, the Ace of Spades..."

The Beltman does a great job. I replaced my 30 year old Alessi dress belt with one of theirs. Folks are +1 in customer service too.

http://www.thebeltman.net/
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
    Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by krellum View Post
    I use a "double belt" from Filson, which is actually two widths of heavy leather sewn back-to-back.
    That has got to be the thickest belt I've ever seen.

You can't loose too much weight with one of those 'cause you won't be able to punch an extra hole into that thing!

Thanks for all of the replies! I have decided to order the horse hide belt from The Belt Man. Traci was super helpful on the phone!

-OT

Deleted by moderator. (Refer to board rules regarding posting in an old thread. Feel free to start a new thread if you want to start a more current discussion.)
    Last edited by nsedet; 02-13-2012 at 21:40.