Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

djk24 Guest

Fws Refuge Officer Interview!

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum. I have been following and researching for the past couple months. I'm currently with the BOP and have been for three years but have been looking at a NR LE job. I got a call yesterday that I have an interview on Monday for refuge officer position in valentine nebraska. It is going to be a phone interview and will be the first time i've done one of these. I have done panels before, both with the bop and the border patrol and did very well with both of them. The phone has me a little nervous because i'm a face to face guy. Any tips you have would be greatly appreciated. I have done research on the agency, pulled the mission statement up, arrest reports, Lacey Act, Migratory Bird Treaty, Endagered Species Act, and Bald Eagle Protection Act, and read them thoroughly to get a better understanding of the agency from an outsiders perspective.
    Also.. if I am selected the job announcement stated that I would have to live on the refuge in government housing. Have any of you guys done this before and what is the general size of the housing since it will be my wife and son and not just me moving.

Thanks in advance!

icon31.gif One quick bit of advice

Just remember that some of the management at FWS and within the refuge system are not LE. Yes, that is part of your duties, but how big a part will depend on where you are assigned and the view of your chain of command.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.
    "There is no second place winner"-- Bill Jordan

Just remember that some of the management at FWS and within the refuge system are not LE. Yes, that is part of your duties, but how big a part will depend on where you are assigned and the view of your chain of command.
    Very true. You will likely report to a refuge zone officer who is essentially a supervisory refuge officer covering a large region, usually multiple wildlife refuges, but also to the refuge manager(s) of the refuges you are assigned to cover. Some refuge managers are very supportive of LE; some not so much, seeing LE as a necessary evil within the service. All at least recognize the need for LE, which is saying something.

That said, if you try to come across as more of a resource protector than a wannabe door-kicker, I think that will serve you much better (because that WILL be your ultimate mission, anyway).

As for a phone interview - I love them. Make notes and use them, have a drink handy, wear whatever is comfortable.
    "I don't share your greed...the only card I need...is the Ace of Spades, the Ace of Spades..."

djk24 Guest
    Thanks guys. The phone interview went well. Wasn't quite what I expected. More of a standard interview/character interview. I had all kinds of information laid out as to arrest records and had myself prepared for LE scenarios and was not asked any of that kind of information. Interview was very informal and laid back, which made for a nice and comfortable conversation dialogue to take place. It was my first phone interview so I was a little nervous. I looked up some old threads on here and took the advice of dressing up to have the mental mind set that it was a formal face to face. My wife laughed at me.. and although it is kind of funny I do have to say that it worked a little bit. I did come across as more of a resource protector stating my strong passion for the outdoors and that some of my fondest memories growing up were hunting with my father and fishing with my grandfather, and now being a fahter myself wanting to preserve and educate as much of possible to preserve the resources for him to enjoy as well. They also did make a strong point that not all of the work that I would be doing would have a primary law enforcement mission. They ended the interview by saying that it went well and they enjoyed the time spent with me, and that if I was nervous, I didn't sound it at all. Hopefully I hear something good back. I got a call this morning that I have another inteview on Tuesday of this coming week, for a different area (acutally the annoucement said site to be determined after selection). They are interviewing me out if the DC field office. You guys catch any wind of where they might be sending some of the new recruits?

Thanks!

Thumbs up Nothing to add....

..... to the rumor mill. Just wanted to say good job with the interview and let us know how it turns out.

ringo3727 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by krellum View Post
    As for a phone interview - I love them. Make notes and use them, have a drink handy, wear whatever is comfortable.
    I agree.

Write out questions you want to ask the advisor/recruiter. They usually end the phone interviews with "Any questions?"

djk24 Guest

Wow

Well I had my second interview in the past week on Tuesday. Completely different from the first one. This one was ran out of DC by a hiring panel. The interviewer told me they had 2900 applications and widdled it down to 75 for initial phone interviews and then from there they are going to go down to 35 for face to face and from there select about 15 for various positions. The first thing he said to me was "congratulations on making it this far". Although it was a good feeling.. I'd like to save the congrats for when I get the job offer ha. The last interview I did was much more personal and I received feedback after each question such as " Ok great.. that is exactly what we are looking for" and so on. This one was a series of standard questions such as " why this agency", "what would your supervisor say about your productivity" yadda yadda. After each answer I gave it was a simple "ok" and on to the next question. I'm asssuming that this is just because they have so many to do in a short time, and they do this for their full time job so they know what they are looking for. It was just hard to say after it was over that "Yes I nailed it!" because it seemed so impersonal. I guess I'll find out in a week or two if I get the call for the face to face. I still have the other interview that the interviewer told me I did very well on and he could hear the passion in my voice for this kind of work so hopefully I still have two hot irons in the fire!

djk24 Guest

Made The Cut

Well I got a call today that I made the cut for the face to face interviews. I was told it went from almost 3000 down to under 30. They are flying me to San Fran on May 3rd. In the meantime I spoke to and scheduled a ride along with the local refuge officer. I havd done several with the US Forest Service but none so far with the FWS. He explained that they are fairly similar. I am extremely excited about this. I have been trying to get picked up for the past two years. Hopefully this is the ticket. They are looking to hire between 12-15 new officers. Any advice you guys have for the face to face would be great. Thanks!

djk24 Guest

icon27.gif Nailed IT!

Nailed the face to face interview. Boss here are work told me he vouched me out the other day to D.C. One of the interviewers walked me out after the interview, shook my hand, and said "Excellent job. Leave here confindent and enthused. We will be in contact next week." Looks like I may have finally nailed my dream job. It's not certain till I get "THE CALL" but it sure feels promising!!!

Thumbs up Congratulations

Glad to hear of your success. It may be a bit premature but since we have answered your questions I am moving this thread to success stories.