Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Resume by mail or in person?

So my question is simple. Should you mail your resume or give it in person?

Normally I give it in person because mailing it just isn't professional. I would even dress business causal when i give it in just in case I will be interviewed on the spot. I am currently working and rehiring for the summer starts soon. I don't know if I am going to be hired but I also don't wanna take a day off just to run around handing in my resumes. If I really need to hand it in personally, I will as a last resort.

Mail it, or if you want to ensure it gets there drop it off with the receptionist. Do not go to the agency, ask for the hiring guy by name, and expect him to come out an accept your resume. I do hiring for some positions. Most are done by people who in turn report to me. When we post an opening, we specifically say "No Phone Calls". When I get calls from people (thanks Google) who tell me "I emailed as requested but want to make sure you received it"; frankly it is annoying and a pain in the butt. My stock answer is something along the lines of 'I'm sure we rec'd it, but if you have any doubts, just send it again'. If they insist I check, and surprisingly they often do, I politely ask their name and notify the hiring supervisor that while not eliminated, that candidate should be put to the bottom of the stack, and if they are to be considered for a position, they had better have some killer credentials in other areas to overcome the deficiency of not following simple directions and ignoring common courtesy.

Bottom line is this- an opening can generate 100's of responses. Your question might only take 2-5 minutes, but multiply that by a few dozen and you'll see how disruptive this can become.

One other point about dropping your resume off- once you get past the first screening, our hiring process requires your resume, etc to be reviewed by several people, not all in the same office/location. We don't have the time or inclination to scan your materials; this is the primary reason we ask for doc's to be sent electronically. Some people still want to fax their stuff citing no internet access or whatever. My basic philosophy is if you can't figure out how to go to the public library and use email you're not bright enough or too lazy to work with me.
    "Gentlemen, get the thing straight once and for all– the policeman isn't there to create disorder, the policeman is there to preserve disorder." ~ Richard J. Daley

Kegan about summed up my thoughts as well. Follow the application directions to the letter. No more, no less. This is often the first way of winnowing the stack. Most agencies / depts. are not set up to handle in-person delivery of an applicant's resume.

By the way, in your post you open with that mailing is unprofessional and close with that you will take the time to hand deliver if necessary but would prefer not to. Is the hiring panel to take that you prefer to be unprofessional? Just pointing out that you might to polish that resume writing a little.

Good Luck with your search.
    "There is no second place winner"-- Bill Jordan

If your gonna mail it, mail a cover sheet as well. Cover sheet is usually something that tells about yourself (the important things/positive work related things) and why they should hire you. If you get a interview, bring a copy of your resume and be prepared to say what you said in the cover sheet.

That's a cover letter, not a sheet. addressed to the person or agency you're sending your resume to. Consider using Monarch size stationary for the cover letter so your resume is clearly visible underneath.

You want to cite why you want the job, what makes you stand out as a candidate and that your available for a personal interview at their convenience.

Please don't send some generic cover sheet over your resume. Not impressive.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
    Hunter S. Thompson

hqbreaker, please review the board rules about posting to old threads
    ret.