Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Exclamation I failed the psych !!!!!

I failed the psych test. I am not sure why but they called and said they no longer have a position available for me the day after I took the psych test.

Are my chanced of becoming a LEO gone or is there still a shot for me to get a job in law enforcement? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Wanna_B

You must realize that no one on this Board can tell you that, as they have no knowledge of what your individual situation might be. I would contonue applying for a position in LE. One departmental turn-down does not DQ you from moving on to another.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
    Hunter S. Thompson

And do a search on the forums for fail psych and another on MMPI. Lot of folks have been through here that found that an issue with one agency was not with another.
    ret.

Thank you. I will continue to apply, I am concerned that this has put up a huge red flag on me and nobody in this economy will want to spend the money to put me through a process that I have already failed. I will not let this get me down. I just wanted to bend an ear and see what people with experience had to say about it. I appreciate your replies.

Forms...Steps...Hoops...Hurdles...Tests...

All designed to thin the herd...

I've gotten through myriad intentional road blocks in beau coup processes...

Not one of 'em included a psych test...

I can only imagine what the diagnosis would be if one of 'em actually got foot hold on my head...

How do you argue with someone when they say you're crazy?...you argue...see you're crazy!...you let it go...see you already know it!...

Certain departments and federal agencies need crazy people...apply to them...often...it will reinforce any compulsive disorders you're trying to demonstrate...it will reinforce any compulsive disorders you're trying to demonstrate...it will reinforce any compulsive disorders you're trying to demonstrate...it will reinforce any compulsive disorders you're trying to demonstrate...

...CC
    "Every hero becomes a bore at last." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Another thing is that according to your post, you are speculating on the reason of your DQ. Just because you recieved a telephone call the day after you took a "pysch test" does not mean that was the reason for the DQ. It could just be a coincidence. We have all been through the hiring process and tried to read the tea leaves as for what certain things meant. As others have said, pick yourself up and apply to the next department/agency.

I agree, sounds like speculation. I'd caution against reading too much into it and also realize that there are plenty of people who have not gotten passed a psych exam only to be hired by the very same agency the next (or next) time around. Its just a step in the process, not a red flag.
    “The fringes of their deserts were strewn with broken faiths.”
    ― T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph

When I was applying to departments, I discussed this issue with a retired police chief friend of mine. His response was that often times psychological evaluations were used not only to qualify you, but to determine suitability for that department.

The example he gave me was: a big city pd with a large crime problem would be looking for a much more assertive candidate than a small suburb that wanted a more service oriented officer. The psych test was just the tool they used to find out if you were the right fit for their pd. They're not saying you're unsuitable for law enforcement, but just not the right fit here and now.

But...if they didn't tell you why you were dropped from the process, then you don't know for sure. In future applications, I would not say "I flunked the psych", but that you don't know why you were dropped. Because, truthfully you don't.
    A society that makes war against its police had better learn to make friends with criminals. - unknown

This may not apply to you, but in a number of process steps applicants make the mistake of trying to outthink the process by answering questions by giving what they presume would be the "law enforcement" answer. This generally goes badly for the applicant. In a psych eval the best course is just to answer the questions straight. If a hypothetical question about your hobbies has choices ranging from birdwatching to running around in tights and a cape punching out evildoers, I would fess up to the birdwatching.
    ret.

Keep your head up. Sometimes my department fails people on the psych because of something totally out of their control, i.e something happening in their life which is considered a major or "overly stressful" situation. This includes divorce, but unfortunately could also include positive things like purchasing a home, having a child, etc. Don't know what your situation is, but keep applying. Also, you could always ask.

If it's any consolation, one of my academy buds when I went through the police academy had failed the psych prior to the previous academy being held. He applied again, went through the process again and was hired. I also know that he wasn't the only one from my old PD who got hired after failing the psych on the first attempt. Just keep plugging away and if it's meant to be it will be. Good luck.
    "Chance favors the prepared mind"

"I took the road less traveled by and that has made all the difference"