Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Patrol/Search/Tactical/EDC Lights

I am new here and introduced myself earlier in another thread. I looked through a lot of threads but didn't see any that talked much about lights. I would like to gather a couple of opinions on lights used on duty, patrol (traffic stop) lights vs. tactical lights.

I carry a department issued Streamlight Stinger in a charger in the patrol car and have a personal Stinger HP that I purchased years ago before going to the academy. My tactical light was also old, Streamlight TL-2. These were/are all good lights and for normal personal use would be fine. Unfortunately I can't stand it when some great new thing comes out that seems better in some way than what I already have.

I did a lot of research and have found that there are a lot of choices out there now for a patrol light and a tactical light. I am keeping my trusty Stinger HP for patrol (love that it uses the same batt's as the dept. lights) but for tactical uses and belt carry backup I wanted something updated. I went through a couple lights that had some serious flaws and then on advice from a friend I purchased an Olight M20s. This thing is crazy. So far I havent found a flaw. This thing works excellent for all tactical uses by me. It has a dedicated momentary on strobe feature at 320 lumens that I love. If nothing else you can freak out some people during the quiet, tear jerking part of the dramatic movie your wife has taken you to.

I would like to know what lights are carried by you for the purpose of patrol, tactical and even everyday carry. Do you ever carry a light off duty? What are the best features?

Thanks for your replies

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forum.php

http://www.terraluxportable.com/prod...nversion-kits/

I suspect that you already know about Candle Power Forums, but I included the URL anyway. I have been on sort of a flashlight repair/replace/upgrade kick this winter. So far I have:

-Returned an old Inova T4 for repair, BUT for $40 they sent me the new version.

-Replaced the tailcap on my Pelican 7060. (Pelican sent me one for free--excellent customer service.)

-Installed a TerraLUX MiniStar2 Extreme LED conversion in an incandescent Mini Mag.

-Installed a TerraLUX MiniStar ST/XT in an incandescent Streamlight Stinger.

-Installed a TerraLUX MiniStar 110S-MM in a TigerLight FBOP.

Oh, and I had upgraded the old Stinger to an HP head a few years back. The TerraLUX for the Stinger is 300 lumens and a much better light than the HP. If you are considering a Streamlight Strion, TerraLUX will announce their LED upgrade for that at the SHOT show soon.

Tac-Light

These days I carry the sure-fire combat-light w/ lithium batteries on and off duty. Back in "the day" I carried a Streamlight SL20XP on duty; and a minimag off duty. A pet-peeve of mine as a road supervisor was officers on daywatch not having a flashlight (residential burglar alarms/house clearing, etc.) and officers walking up to a vehicle (night-time) on a traffic stop with their flashlight in their gun hand. I also have a Gerber double LED headlamp in my man purse; and two Eveready triple LED headlamps in my POV.
    Stay safe!

FedAgent

I couldn't agree more about day shift officers and also night shift with a light in their gun hand..thats one way to say go ahead, I wont shoot back. I am going to jump on Terra Lux's website and check it out. I would love to find an upgrade for my con descent Stinger HP. Thanks.

http://www.terraluxportable.com/product/tle-hp3/

I actually considered this a while back. I converted the The Streamlight Stinger that I have several years back to the HP head. I was disappointed in the upgrade and never ended up using it much. So more recently when I found out the TerraLUX MiniStar ST/EX was up to 300 lumens, I decided to buy. You could just remove that HP head and go with the TerraLUX MiniStar ST/EX.

I agree. I looked at the site and I think that is what I am going to do. I also have submitted a purchase order to outfit all our department issued Stingers with the same upgrade. Thanks for the information. Everyone on my department will like the upgraded lights much better.