Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Dress Belt for Plain Clothes Carry - Bullhide, Horse Hide or Elephant Hide?

I am in the market for a new dress belt for plain clothes (suits) carry and would like to get some feedback on the best place to order one and reviews from personal experience with the bullhide, horse hide or elephant hide belts.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.
    Last edited by TWW3; 02-13-2012 at 22:48.

I wear a Black leather belt from Bladetech Industries. Good quality, looks good with suites, and strong enough for the field (enforcement).

Do yourself a favor and spend some decent money on an excellent belt you will have many years down the road. Google thebeltman dot net and order yourself a horsehide belt in your choice of colors. You won't be disappointed.

-OT

OT... thank you for your response! Yes, that is definitely where I'm going to buy my belt. However, I am simply looking for some testimonial feedback on experience with the horsehide leather and how it differs from cowhide, which is what my current belt (Galco) and holster (DeSantis) are made of.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Horsehide is great. I just 'retired' my old Alessi horsehide belt after 30 years of service and bought a new one from thebeltman.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
    Hunter S. Thompson

Just an FYI...the internet is loaded with Mall Ninjas that will recommend crap you shouldn't even consider. Somebody always has something cheaper, or a friend that builds it.

Buy quality and buy it once. It'll last your career and if your betting your life on it, $50 bucks more doesn't seem so much. Good luck!
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
    Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by dmclark View Post
    Just an FYI...the internet is loaded with Mall Ninjas that will recommend crap you shouldn't even consider. Somebody always has something cheaper, or a friend that builds it.

Buy quality and buy it once. It'll last your career and if your betting your life on it, $50 bucks more doesn't seem so much. Good luck!
    As my dad was always fond of saying, he did not make nearly enough money to buy cheap stuff.

I have a beltman belt and the only problem is it is thick. My blackberry holder always pops off of it. It's a good belt and I usually use it on range days but I find it to be a little too thick.

Which is a greater priority....carrying your firearm or your Blackberry holder? It's supposed to be thicker to support the firearm and other assorted gear on your belt. I'd look for a different BB holder.....but that's me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

I have a horsehide and was a little unsure when ordering it at first because of the extra stiffness. I have been using it for a while now and it is perfect. The only thing is the finish is wearing a little where my gun sits and where my mags sit, but I really don't care about appearances anyway. Any belt would do that with the type of use I put it through. I saw a demo at the academy of how easy it is to shred a belt with a holster attached and have been a true believer of spending good money for great belts. Same reason why I'll never use a paddle holster.

I'd say get the horsehide, just my recommendation. I'd also get the 7 hole option so you can fine-tune the fit much better that the 5 hole.

-OT

Quote Originally Posted by dmclark View Post
    I just 'retired' my old Alessi horsehide belt after 30 years of service
    That same (size) belt fit you for 30 years? God bless!

Yes Chaser199, it did. I'm fortunate to have a wife who doubles as a Food Drill Instructor.
    Hunter S. Thompson