Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Immigration Services Officer

Anyone know about the Immigration Services Officer position? I applied a long time ago and was just emailed yesterday telling me they are in need of immediate help in the following locations:

Texas Service Center, Dallas TX
    Nebraska Service Center, Lincoln, NE
    California Service Center, Laguna Niguel
    Vermont Service Center, St. Albans or Essex, VT

Can anyone fill me in on the position. I understand it's not LE and is a desk job. Who knows about the locations above, also? Any help would be appreciated. I did some searches on here and couldn't find anything.

Think customer service and quotas. USCIS is very much a service agency, and their positions have very specific performance standards along the lines of "Process X number of applicants per hour." Expect to spend your days in the office making sure you deal with enough applicants or process enough files. Not a bad agency and there are career opportunities, both in promoting to management and in specialized assignments like their Fraud Detection and National Security (FDNS) section.

Hi GA12. Perhaps you dont need an answer, but incase you do I took the same position in Essex VT not so long ago.

It's not LE and it is a desk job. Basically you adjudicate petitions. How interesting your work is depends on what you're working. Some are interesting, with criminality, others, ho-hum yet easy. It's sort of like being a mini-judge. You apply the law, and make decisions, day to day. Which is nice and looks good on a resume. Can it be boring? Yes. Can it be interesting? Yes. The pros of an office environment are you meet a lot of friends and the place is swarming with cute girls. You are on production though. You can work from home after a year and the scheduling flexibility is amazing. Pretty much make your own schedule. The benefits are fantastic in this respect.

What do you want to know about the locations?

VT is cold and on the cutting edge
    CA is in a nice place and.... in a nice place.
    TX doesnt have the cool gizmos VT has, but it's Texas. Ironically they need more space.
    NE a complete mystery. Some say they work in a cave. Literally.

Interestingly enough, I received the following email a few days ago:

The following information is provided concerning the Immigration Services Officer position for which you applied in July 2011 under

vacancy announcement number CIS-PJN-487435-NATIONWIDE.

As of October 1, 2012, the applicant inventory created under this announcement is closed and no further employment consideration will

be given to candidates on this register. The US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will be posting announcements for

Immigration Services Officers at the GS-5/7/9 grade level over the course of the next few months. These announcements will be posted

by geographic location in accordance with specific hiring needs of USCIS field offices and service centers. If you would like to be

considered for future Immigration Services Officer positions with USCIS, we encourage you to visit www.usajobs.gov

and apply for those job opportunities in which you are interested as they are announced.

We thank you for your interest in employment with USCIS.

I emailed and said I would be interested in Dallas back months ago. I guess I'll need to apply again.

Quote Originally Posted by ga12 View Post
    Anyone know about the Immigration Services Officer position?
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by TheGreatGonzo; 10-29-2013 at 02:44. Reason: This thead is from 2012.