Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Denver Police Officer Celena Hollis, Shot/Killed at City Park Festival - EOW 06-24-12

9NEWS - DENVER, CO 06-25-12 - A Denver Police officer was shot and killed at the City Park Jazz Fest Sunday night.

Police say the shooting happened during a fight between two groups which police attempted to break up. Police say the officer was off-duty.

The officer, later identified as 32-year-old Celena Hollis, was shot in the head.

Denver Police Chief Robert White says they do have a person in custody but stopped short of calling that person the shooter.

The shooting occurred shortly after the Jazz in the Park concert series ended around 8 p.m. Hundreds attended the event, including families and children. Mayor Hancock's wife and child also attended.

A 9NEWS employee, attending the concert, heard the shooting and saw several people run towards the south side of the park.

Police say Hollis was a single mother and had been with the department since 2005. She had helped with the Jazz in the Park concert series for several years. Police say Hollis was president of the Denver Black Police Officers Association.

Witnesses told 9NEWS an ambulance was on scene within five minutes and transported Hollis to Denver Health.

Denver Mayor Michael Hancock and Denver Police Chief Robert White made a statement outside Denver Health Sunday night.

They called Hollis dedicated and a leader in the department. Mayor Hancock says the city will come together.

"We will put our arms around this family and this child, and make sure they know there is a city that absolutely loves them," Hancock said.

Police were seen searching a Dumpster near a lake Sunday night.
    Last edited by DelC; 06-25-2012 at 12:24.
    DelC
    “You never know if quotes on the internet are genuine or not" . . . Abraham Lincoln

I hope they catch the bastard!
    Short steps, far view, bad intentions!!!

I spent the night with her family, it was rough. I didnt think that night when I was on my way to work that this was going to happen. God bless lady, RIP.

And yes he was caught about 10 minutes after the shooting running away like a little coward.

Ryan, helping the surviving family members is a tough assignment that few of us are adequately prepared for. God Bless you and all the members of the Denver LE community.
    "There is no second place winner"-- Bill Jordan