Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Anxiety Medication for Hopeful Fed.

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this as I am not a current law enforcement official yet, but I was wondering if I could get some advice regarding prescription anti-anxiety medication.

A couple of months ago I started having a number of personal issues involving my academic career in law school, which resulted in me contacting a school counselor. I'm not failing or anything, I am just having a difficult time deciding whether I should back out of a dual-degree program (J.D./M.A. in Criminal Justice) and just finish up the standard J.D. at a different law school closer to home. Over the course of a few sessions with the counselor, he noted that I seem to have a pretty serious issue with anxiety and recommended that I look into possibly taking anti-anxiety medication.

The only problem is that I am hoping to eventually go into federal law enforcement and I have heard that issues with anxiety may be something that I would have to answer to when being considered for the position. Therefore, I was wondering if anybody had any insight regarding whether the use of anti-anxiety medication will be an absolute bar to attaining a law enforcement position. The counselor did mention that there are alternative to prescription medication that I could also look into, but he seemed more supportive of the medication option. I know that law enforcement is stressful work, but I feel that actually attaining the job is what is causing the most stress and not what (I imagine) is expected of me if I actually get the job. I'd appreciate any thoughts or opinions. Thanks.

Since your question was primarily about medications, I moved it over here as a more appropriate forum. You'll have to disclose the medication and circumstances in a hiring process and my advice is to let the agency decide. Frankly, it may or may not be a problem in the process but there is no absolute bar to hiring in the appropriate use of medication under the care of a prescribing professional so we can't give you a simple yea or nay answer.

Without knowing, or needing you to tell us more, my guidance is that you should not take yourself out of consideration. However, I do recommend that you have a conversation if you can with the counselor you saw about your career aspirations. A co-worker on time brought to my attention a quote from a Deputy Secretary of the Treasury who said "We eat stress for breakfast." My crack back was, "Must be on a diet." I'm sure your comment about attaining the job being more stressful than having it was intended to be light, but there are a fair number of folks who have found that wanting the job was much better than having it. I'm not sure there are enough bytes on the server to list out all the stress producers in this business so suffice it to say you get the full load of every other human being plus. Probably because no matter how remote the jurisdiction seems, you wind up dealing with some of the worst stress other folks have in their lives. Anyhow, I wish you well in the process, just consider that the most important thing is that you be well.
    ret.