Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

US Probation Officer (Pittsburgh, Erie, Johnston)

Recently applied for this position (to all three offices) and would like to hear from someone who has insight of the US Probation and Pretrial Services Western District of PA office. Is the approach more LE oriented or social work oriented? Firearms, handcuffs, etc.? Do PO's make arrests of is that the role of the USMS? Insight from someone who has worked with these individuals would be appreciated. Insight from an actual USPO would be greatly appreciated!

I applied to Johnstown and Pittsburgh. Erie is a little far for me. Not sure about philosophies of each court. From what I've read, they vary from district to district. Do you work in the field now?

Yes, I work with Juveniles.

Same here. Crazy world.

Yes indeed.

PGH 87 PM sent

I applied as well. I work as a adult state PO right now. There were over 500 people that applied to the positions. Good luck!

I applied to the scranton office and was recently notified I didn't get that position. I was aware that the positions are very competitive, but 500 applicants is a lot more than I thought they would get.

How did you find out they had that many?

Quote Originally Posted by ga12 View Post
    I applied to the scranton office and was recently notified I didn't get that position. I was aware that the positions are very competitive, but 500 applicants is a lot more than I thought they would get.

How did you find out they had that many?
    I spoke with the hiring manager and she told me that is how many applied. She also said they probably wouldn't notify applicants until mid-october and only then it would be just to schedule a time to take a written test. Interviews probably won't be until november.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

I would make sure that your written documents are impeccable. No typos, spelling mistakes, apostrophe issues, extra spaces, etc. Have someone literate proof read your work. Someone other than yourself. Most all probation officers spend the majority of their time writing reports, letters, or investigations whether they will admit it or not. There is tons of paperwork for POs. I have hired USPOs for 15 years and I read every word of every document submitted. Most are painful to read.

Best of luck.

Helpful Info Thank every one

Good Afternoon,

I recently applied to a U.S. Probation Officer position up north. I was notified to attend an interview at the end of this month. Are there any USPO's that can provide some valuable insight. I have a strong foundation of experience within the fields of law enforcement and probation, but the world of Federal Probation is almost foreign to me. I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some good questions to ask at the interview in regards to the position, as well as job satisfaction.

I have interviewed a couple times and the process varies widely among the districts. Each district's policies and procedures are different and discretion is left up to the Chief PO. I would get on USCourts.gov and the website for the jurisdiction you are interviewing for to familiarize yourself and get a feel for what type of mentality they have (social work VS law enforcement). There are some helpful videos and other information on the USCourts website. Any questions post them here or PM me.